Chapter 22: Hunt for the Ray Sphere

Beginne am Anfang

I head down and clear out the area, some of the First Sons have the same cloaking technology as the jammer, but I can still take them down.

After a few minutes, I clear out the area and take out the jammer.

I call John.

"The jammer is out of the picture,"

"Great. But I need to get some things ready before we go after the Ray Sphere, so try and get some sleep. When we make our move, Kessler's going to hit us with everything he's got,"

"I'll be ready,"

After I say that, John flies away.

I decide to spend time at the hospital and after that, I go to the park and to sleep by Trish's grave.

When I open my eyes I'm greeted by a city street. The sun is shining over me and I'm surrounded by people I don't recognize.

I ask them.

"Who are you all?"

I stand up and they don't respond.

Then, I realize that the city street I'm on is in New Marais.

Suddenly, scattered across the group of people, I hear.

"Thank you, Cole MacGrath,"

I blink and my vision switches from the city street to the sky. I sit up and I'm next to Trish's grave.

I get a call from John.

"It looks like Kessler's keeping the Ray Sphere in the old Examiner Building. Going to be a bitch getting to it, though,"

"So what's the plan?"

"I've got a canister of fentanyl rigged to the bottom of the chopper, should incapacitate everyone inside. Unfortunately, Kessler's get anti-air guns on the surrounding buildings, and they'll tear me apart long before I get into position,"

"So I take out the guns, you gas those bastards, and we go in and get the Sphere?"

"Exactly. We only get one shot at this. Get over there and destroy those guns,"

I dust myself off and start running towards the Examiner Building.

When I reach the building, I see the anti-air gun on the roofs shooting jets from the sky. As I'm climbing the surrounding buildings.

Moya starts to talk again.

"See those jets, Cole? They're hitting targets all across the city, preparing the way for a ground invasion. I warned you that if I lost control, they'd escalate things. You shouldn't have reneged on our deal,"

"You're not pinning this on me, Moya,"

"I already have,"

"Have fun with that,"

She doesn't respond.

I reach the top of the building and destroy the anti-air gun.

John calls.

"I don't have enough fentanyl to make another bomb, so this is our only chance. Take out those guns before they blow me out of the sky,"

"I already got it,"

I take out the rest of the anti-air guns.

I call John.

"That's the last of them,"

"Get away from the building - I don't want you breathing in this crap,"

I get as far away as possible as I can from the Examiner building.

John drops the bomb, the gas disperses through the building and bursts through all the windows.

From behind the building, a truck starts driving away from the building.

John starts talking again.

"Dammit, we weren't fast enough. They loaded the Ray Sphere onto a truck. I'm going to keep them in my sights. You follow as quickly as you can. They've got a boat inbound, probably trying to take advantage of the fact that water will kill you,"

John's helicopter starts to pursue the truck, and I quickly follow.

Eventually, we reach a pier.

John calls.

"This thing is running on vapors, so l've gotta put it down. Get your ass down there and stop them. I'll follow you on foot as soon as I can,"

"Alright,"

I run down the pier and resistance is strong. Seemingly every member of the First Sons was positioned here.

But eventually, they all end up dead.

I reach the end of the pier and sitting there is the Ray Sphere.

While I'm approaching the Ray Sphere, John runs up behind me.

He starts talking.

"You know, I had that thing in my hands once. Kessler asked me to hold it while he adjusted some cables during a test. I could feel it pulsing, like something was inside of it, trying to get out. It's not right,"

"And everyone wants it,"

"That big lightning strike of yours should destroy its protective container. Then we can blow the Sphere sky high,"

Trish's crumbled body flashes through my head, I think of Amy and Zeke. I lift my arms up and hit that Sphere with everything I've got.

But something goes wrong, the Ray Sphere cracks open and creates a vortex of energy.

John yells.

"Run, Cole!"

Before I could respond John gets pulled in and torn apart by the Ray Sphere, causing an explosion.

The force of the explosion blows me back to the city and I land on the ground.

John's dead, nothing went according to plan but at least the Ray Sphere is gone.

I get a call from Kessler.

"I'm disappointed, Cole. The Ray Sphere was the catalyst of your powers, and it could've strengthened you even more, but you rejected it. I, for one, wouldn't have done the same thing,"

"Yeah, well I'm not like you. It took me a while, but I finally realized that this isn't about me, about what I want. Not anymore. It's about keeping this city safe. And once you're dead, no one will ever threaten it again,"

"Heh heh, That remains to be seen. Meet me at the Staton Building,"

The Staton Building, where my life changed. Where it all started, and that's where it's all gonna end.