Chapter 33: Epilogue

"Never is too late."

——

My eyes widened at the limp body on top of me, I remained stunned for a moment not moving. I had imagined that it was me who had been shot, but the lifeless body of Amara told me another story.

Suddenly her dead body was pulled off me and to the side, I stood up but my eyes remained on her. She was dead. Actually dead. I do not know what I was waiting for, possibly the fact she would wake up and say 'you can't kill me that easily'.

"She's dead, Miss Diaz." It was the moment my eyes fell on the guard, he held a gun to his side. The gun he had used to shoot Amara, suddenly footsteps could be heard and Anthony came forward with guards behind him. A gun in his hand. His eyes went from me taking in if I was fine, before it dropped on the dead corpse of Amara.

"S-She's u-ugh d-dead." I stuttered unable to form a sentence, Anthony nodded his head wrapping his arms around me allowing me to bury my face into his chest. I clenched my fingers around his blazer, tugging him closer to me.
"Take the body away." Anthony ordered, and the next minute I could hear the dragging before it was gone and the only thing I could hear was my rush unstable breathing.

"She was going to kill me." I spoke in disbelief as if it all was sinking into me know, I had no idea how I had managed to be so confident when Amara was pointing her gun at me or even when she dug it into my stomach.
"She's gone now, she's not going to be in our life anymore." He whispered smoothly, whilst his hand rubbed my back. His touch was smoothing and managed to calm me down, I pulled away looking up at his towering figure.

"She killed an innocent women." I sobbed and he nodded his head cupping my face whilst wiping away the fallen tears from my cheeks using his thumb.

"I found out not long ago, whilst I was at the bar Caine approached me the guard who shot Amara. He informed me of what he had found out whilst digging into her, and following her. I instantly sent all my guards to find you, I sent all our guest home calling the event off and that's when I heard the gun shots." He said, I could see the worry in his eyes, he was terrified that Amara might have shot me. I cupped his face leaning forward and pressing my lips against his.

"I'm alive,thanks to Caine." I made a small joke even though on the inside I was scared shit less, I needed him to be strong, selfishly for me. Seeing him strong made me feel confident.

"Remind me to give him a raise in his pay." He said before attaching his lips to mine, I wrapped my arms around his neck bringing him closer to me.
"What happened?" It was Gael's voice that made us pull away, he walked towards us with guards trailing behind. His eyes went to the floor beside me see the pool of Amara's blood.

"Amara was the main leader, my father was mentioning about. She fooled everyone." I said, I saw the anger that crossed Gael's face. I knew he hated traitors, I had come to realise that the more I grew close to his family.
"She's dead, Father." Anthony said and Gael nodded his head towards him.

"Take Isobel home, I'll take care of everything." Gael said to which Anthony nodded his head, before wrapping his arms around me possessively and began to walk away.
"S-She laid dead on me." I stuttered as we settled into his car, his palms placed on my thighs rubbing it gently.

"I'm sorry you had to witness that, Isobel. It's not going to be easy to forget, but I'll stand by you each step of the way." He promised, before roaring the car alive and beginning to drive. If you had asked me if this was what I had expected when I arrived to the event, I would say hell no. Even when I took a bait to capture the man, I had never really witnessed someone laying dead on me.

No matter how terrified I was at this very moment, somewhere inside of me felt safe that the danger which was looming around us was now gone. I knew wanting and being in a relationship with a mafia leader was dangerous, heck I was calling death upon myself but I knew he would protect me. I knew I had him with me, and at this very moment that was all that really mattered to me.

I had arrived to America with a sole purpose to free Anthony and find my father and then return back to Italy, running away from my emotions and love. But who knew America was where I would find everything I was running away from.

I found love in a dangerous man, I found happiness around his family. He gave me everything I had always wished for as a young child, he was my knight in shining amour but instead of a sword he carried a gun. Instead of a horse he held many luxurious cars, and instead of soldiers he had men who took an Omertà to protect him and die for him.

I did know know what Gael meant by he would take care of everything, but I knew he would make sure Amara was gone for good and would no reappear out of the blue like she had done before.

Life is a lesson, sometimes you learn it the easier way and sometimes you learn it the hard way.

"I love you." Anthony said, turning to look at me I turned giving him a wide smile which reached my eyes. Placing my hands on top his palms.

"I love you too." I whispered back, I rolled my window down allowing the cold wind to attack me. I found love in a dangerous place, but it was a love I'd never sacrifice....

Love me!

The End

Absolutely enjoyed writing this book, I do not know how I managed to work with two books and yet finish both of them.
I guess it's writing spirit for me at the moment.
It took me a while to get back into the theme of Mafia, guns, violence and trauma but here I am writing a book with all of it involved.

Do check out my other books, they will be on my profile.

Do check out my book I have published on Amazon:

The Mafia's Slut (Book 1)

The Mafia's Illegitimate Bride (Stand Alone)