Chapter 11: Aisle Of Dead Bodies

"Sometimes you have to turn blind to the world"

——

The amazing smell of the sizzling well cooked steak filled my nostrils, making me instantly moan. After a tough afternoon, with all the new discovery a nice meal was all I needed.
"I assume your enjoying your meal." My head raised to look at Anthony who sat in front of me, I had forgotten about him the moment the food was placed in front of me.

"You can assume stuff, we'll done Mr Bianchi." I said with sarcasm laced in my words, he instantly caught on and shook his head at me.
"We can not have a pleasant conversation with your smart mouth always running, can we." He shot back, I would have been offended if I did care. But at this moment my eyes were devouring the steak and baked baby potatoes.

"Well this smart mouth can certainly do many things." I stated absent minded whilst placing a piece of steak in my mouth before raising my eyes too look at him, instantly my eyes realised how his pupils had darkened.
"I am very well aware of what your mouth can do." He whispered, making me clench my thighs at his words. I cleared my throat grabbing my wine before taking a from it.

Suddenly Anthony's phone began to ring, he excused himself to answer the phone and I nodded my head watching him disappear towards the bathroom at the restaurant. I was busy devouring my food when I felt a presence sit down in front of me.

Raising my head, instantly my eyebrows narrowed at the man before me. He had worn a mask which only allowed me to see his blue eyes, he placed a note in front of me before silently standing up and walking away.

I opened the note he left, intrigued to know what was written on it.

'If you know what's best for you leave the case.'

My eyes instantly snapped towards where the man had walked away, he walked out of the restaurant before turning to give me a final look. I instantly stood up rushing behind him, but before I could make it outside I crashed into a waiter who appeared in front of me suddenly distracting me as my eyes fell on the several crashed plates.

"I am sorry Madame." He said and all I did was not my head, before walking outside. I sighed realising the man had disappeared, I looked around in hopes I would catch a glimpse of him but to my dismay I did not.

"Isobel." I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder, I turned around to face an confused Anthony. His eyebrows were narrowed, a small frown on his lips and the curiosity that was in his eyes.

"That man, did you see that man." I stated, looking around once again but there was no one around making me frown.
"What man? You were standing here all alone." He said making me sigh, I had lost the chance to find that man. Who was he? Why did he want me to leave this case?

"He left me this note." I said handing Anthony the small white paper which held the words written in black ink. His jaws instantly clenched as he read it, he looked at me before down the street before settling it back on me.
"We should head back to my apartment." He said and I nodded my head at his words, it was not safe to have a conversation in the open. We were unaware of who may be listening.

My appetite for the food was long gone, so once Anthony paid for our food we drove back to his apartment. The drive was silent, we were both in our own thoughts. Whoever that man was it was obvious he did not want me to work on this case.

I unbuckled my seat belt exiting the car the moment he came to a stop, we silently walked inside the apartment building before entering the elevator which led us to his apartment.

"The best solution would be if you leave this case." My eyes widened, at his words the moment the apartment door closed behind him. I glared at him angrily, clenching my fist.
"You do not get to decide that, Anthony." I yelled, slamming my palms into his chest. He stepped back not expecting my sudden aggression, but it angered me that he was going to want me to step back just from a mere threat.

"This is not your life, Isobel. These people would stoop so low to get what they want." He stated, and I shook my head at him once again.
"And your willing to cower away, how do you know what they are capable off?" I asked even though I knew whoever these people were, would not stop until they had scattered blood for what they wanted.

"Because I am one of them. This is my life, Isobel. It's not a fantasy like what you read in books, we kill for what we want, and we take what we desire." His voice raised a little, he took my face into his hands leaning his forehead against mine. I could feel his hot breath on my face.

I pushed him away, suddenly feeling my guard back up. A stern face replacing the look of desire, and want. I had lowered my walls for a moment, this was not who I was.

"I don't take orders from anyone, this is my job. If your like them then don't bother caring for my life, because I won't stop." My words were loud and clear, it seemed to taken him aback. I wanted to grab him and kiss him, telling him he was nothing like what he assumed he was. But it felt as if my words were stuck in my own throat.

"Do what you want. But don't tell me if you see a aisle of dead bodies, if someone even touches a hair on your head." With being said he walked into his bedroom slamming the door behind me, I closed my eyes inhaling and exhaling.