The Magic Of Chapter 1

A/N: The song is in the soundtrack for Feeble.

So far, the first chapter has gotten the MOST votes and comments compared to the rest of the chapters. People found that the hook caught their eye and the first chapter became interesting to many. Even relatable to some. I'm surprised to see people love this chapter because it wasn't my INTENET to make it that good.

Chapter 1 wasn't my particular favorite because there were a lot of revisions happening in advance. I've done heavy research on how to grab the readers' attention and been absorbing myself into booktube for months way before Feeble was first published on here. I was stressed out of my mind trying to follow rules and I am a plantser (planner + pantser) meaning I either type or write down the ideas plus picking random ideas out of my head.

Some videos were helpful but I was mentally exhausted from how to make a good first chapter. I know I shouldn't have stressed out but for me, I've been on Wattpad for six years and that was when I was writing messy books for the fun of it.

And coming here after a whole hiatus from my old account, I wanted to make a book again that I'll actually stick to and keep the plot rolling. I've already explained the whole D.R/I.M book phases and I rather keep those novels buried in my brain.

Chapter 1, I've done two times of revisions until I created the one that suits the beginning. Also, I've learned about hooks and all of the English-related stuff from high school that corresponds to those ideas. Typed my way through and made Chapter 1. At first, the book didn't get a lot of reads. It started very low to the bottom and I was primarily a ghost in Wattpad. Until I grew and look at where I am now.

----------

The magic behind Chapter 1 is that there is no magic. Not a lot of people go to college and as much as people advocate for others to do so, some people want to pursue other things that they don't see college as a priority. In Linda's case, she chose not to go to college for her sake because if she did and chose related singing majors, her Grandmother wouldn't approve and dishonor her since she doesn't like the fame aspect of singing. Considering that her daughter and niece are worldwide famous singers around the globe. From her perspective, a lot of things come from being famous and not taking sides with the Grandma, fame for a singer can be too much when they indulge themselves in alcohol (Layla) and have the pressure of everyone (fans + paparazzi') around them.

The Grandma in my mind is right to not let Linda get into the media and how explosive it can be if she were to become famous from her voice. She knows Linda is very talented and that is what keeps blocking Linda from going to college in the first place. Yes, she's Nigerian but those actual reasons make perfect sense.

However, Linda wouldn't mind going to college in the first place if her Grandma wasn't in the way. And you guys might be asking, why is she working at retail when her mother is famous? Linda doesn't want to be reminded of her and rather works hard for her own money and value.

With the whole chapter set up, I like the way I began with Linda being alone with her Dad. Not with our boy Goldwind, precious Danny, Sanchez, and or Rachel. NONE OF THEM. It had to begin somewhere where they can start coming in at a natural place and time where Linda will need them. By building up the exposition and the rising action when introducing the rest of the cast.

Linda needs Goldwind's wisdom, a mother figure who is Sanchez, a friend so she can not be alone aka Rachel, and someone who can understand her in an affectionate way, Danny.

Another thing I find this chapter INTERESTING is that Linda doesn't start out with a best friend or anybody tagging along. In most shows, movies, and novels, everyone and your mama is having a best friend to be in the main character's adventure.

In Feeble, no.

Linda didn't have a healthy relationship with her past friend and her being alone is important because I know most stories would start out with the main characters having a typical best friend, but I wanted Linda to be alone. Her struggle to have renewable acquaintances when entering Middleton is a whole new level. She was forced to go and didn't have the intention to start out friendships since she doesn't trust herself.

And I wanted Linda to be alone so she can HAVE ownership over her decisions than letting someone just do them for her. She makes mistakes and she's human. That's what I love about her.

Without her being alone, she wouldn't have the time to think about what she wants and desires. And when I introduce my lovable characters, they set the path to interpreting her being and Linda not knowing how people can see what she can't see.

So far, there is no magic to this chapter.

Chapter 1 is the most voted chapter because it starts out with Linda not having a clear goal of what she wants at the point of her life when her Grandma was in the way of her decisions. Plus, thinking that she's missing out when recently turned twenty. In addition, starting this chapter with her alone until the built-up of greater connections that'll inspire and change her perspective.