Chapter 13

[Kumo Gates]

The group made it to their destination with time to spare. A lot of time to spare.

Kiba made sure to complain every time the young medic forgot to take a breather, unable to understand why she was in such a rush. His two teammates shared his thoughts, only in a much more patient way.

Walking their way, before they were able to even pass the foreign gates, were two familiar faces. One of them look glad to see them while the other had their shoulders slumped down.

"We're here to escort our guests," Omoi said once he stood in front of the group.

"It's been a while." Hinata smiled. "How are you two?"

"I'm the same as always. Nothing new happening." Omoi then scratched the back of his head. "It's Karui who—AH!"

"I'm great." Karui gave a forceful smile after whacking her teammate. "Let's get going. Lord Raikage will be pleased to know you all made it safely." She then turned around, giving the rest no other option but to follow.

It was clear to them all she was definitely not feeling great.

"What's her problem?" Kiba whispered over to the escort beside him.

"Karui here was hoping they'd send the great Ino-Shika-Cho trio instead." Omoi moved two steps back, walking next to the safety-radiating pinkette when he noticed his teammate side-eye him threateningly from the front of the group.

"Would you shut up!" Karui barked, turning back forward flustered.

"Oh, that reminds me." Kiba began teasingly. "Choji has been visiting Kumo a lot."

Even though she didn't turn back, the group knew she was blushing. "It's just work," she huffed.

"Mhm, work."

"That's strange considering the work he's sent on usually takes a day or two inside Kumo... yet he stays here for multiple weeks every time," Shino commented.

"Not to mention Kumo is a ways away from Konoha." Kiba continued, snickering at how red the poor girl had gotten. "Choji always refuses trips that are further away from the border, except when it comes to this village."

"That's... I think that's enough, guys." Hinata scolded, making the brunet roll his eyes after coughing the laughter away.

Now Choji's added to the list. Sakura sighed sullenly.

Omoi insisted on them making a few stops before getting straight to business, wanting them to feel relaxed after such a long trip. They ate at a delicious restaurant and caught up with one another.

If only Sakura's head wasn't somewhere else, she would've listened to the conversation around her better. Instead, her thoughts were on her traveling teammate.

Sasuke should've made it to their cabin already, actually—according to her calculations—he should already be on his third day there.

Kakashi had said he was staying for an entire week, or until he found the person he was looking for. The thought of seeing him after almost three months made her feel anxious.

He was a mere hour away.

The anxiety in her chest didn't leave even while they were talking to the Raikage, and when they got to work, no matter how much she tried to distract herself, the feeling wouldn't go away. Then before she knew it, the day was over and they were escorted to the inn they would be staying during their time in the village.

"You guys aren't tired already, are you?" Omoi asked after discreetly talking with his teammate.

"They've been traveling and worked all day." Karui shook her head at whatever she knew he had planned. "I told you to leave them be."