Chapter 9

[Konoha Front Gates]

Sasuke shook his head at the sight of his blond loud-mouth teammate patiently waiting for him at the front gates. His steps slowly approached him, not surprised by his presence in the least.

"Oh, come on," Naruto beamed. "You know I wouldn't miss saying goodbye before you really left."

"Then why did you sob all over me last night?" Sasuke frowned.

"So, this could be more of a surprise."

"I'm here as well," their former sensei's familiar voice made them turn around.

"What are you doing here?"

"I wouldn't let my own student leave without giving a proper goodbye." Kakashi smiled at the annoyed look on the Uchiha's face.

"You never walk me out when I leave." Naruto frowned.

"Do you have everything you need? Not forgetting anything?" Kakashi ignored the blond.

Sasuke nodded. He didn't own many things considering he was always on the move. He was sure he wasn't forgetting anything, he'd even done a double check, yet he still felt off as if something were missing.

"Sakura isn't here yet?" Kakashi asked surprised. "I figured she'd be the first one here as usual."

That's what was missing.

"That's strange." Naruto's brows pinched. "She is usually the first one here."

She'd be there. Sasuke knew that well.

The pointless argument they had last night was nothing. He knew Sakura wouldn't let him leave while knowing their last words weren't pleasant. She always tended to overlook things when it came to him, after all. They just needed to wait a little longer and she'd show up. She'd then apologize, he would, too, and then they'd be able to go their separate ways on good terms just like they always did.

That's what he had believed anyway...however, after an hour of small talk and details on what path he was going to take first—meaningless words in order to stall his departure—the pinkette never showed.

"Hey, didn't you walk her home last night?" Naruto asked. "Did something happen?"

Yes. "No, we just said our goodbyes then."

"I said my goodbyes yesterday, too, and I'm here."

Sasuke didn't respond, unsure why she hadn't shown up himself. It wasn't like their argument was anything big; they only mildly bickered. It wasn't a good enough reason for her not to show. He hadn't told her to, but that was only because it went without saying.

Team seven always said their goodbyes one last time.

"It's weird," Naruto rubbed his chin in thought. "She also forgot to meet up for dinner last night."

"That's right. Were you able to find her?" Kakashi asked.

"Yep, she was in the lab with Kai." Naruto laughed when he noticed his teammate frown at the sudden mention of the anbu. "I don't know. Maybe you've been replaced, Sasuke," he teased.

"Enough." Kakashi intervened. "Well, Sasuke, I have to get back to my office. Travel safely and don't hesitate to send word if you need any assistance."

Sasuke thanked him before he walked off in the direction of the Hokage building. It left both Sasuke and Naruto watching his retreating back in silence until Naruto suddenly spoke up, his tone no longer playful.

"You know, Sakura's been spending an awful lot of time with Kai lately."

"Has she?" Sasuke responded, disinterested.