Chapter 7

[Yamanka Flower Shop]

"So, Sasuke's leaving for another long-term?"

"That's what I was told," Sai nodded while trying to glue a vase back together.

Ino rolled her eyes from her spot at her store's front counter, absently flipping through the magazine in her hands. "That explains why team seven's been all up on each other recently," she grumbled. "When does he leave?"

"The morning after tomorrow."

"And you're sure it's a long-term?" Ino glanced at Sai questionably. "Not like his usual short-terms he's always going on?"

"It's long-term, I'm sure."

"Does Sakura know?"

"Yes, but it's strange." Sai's brows pinched. "Sasuke tries not to talk about it or simply keeps it short, but when he's put in a position where he has to talk about it, and Sakura's around, he keeps saying he's not sure or changing his assumption on how long it'll be. Last night he said it would be long, but not longer than his journey to atone."

"So, he won't be gone longer than a year?" Ino asked, confused with what he meant.

"Well, that's what I think is strange." Sai shared her confusion. "With those words, I assume he won't be gone that long, but he only says that when Sakura's around. Whenever she's not around, and he needs to talk about his long-term, it sounds like it will be longer than a year."

"What?" Ino shut her magazine.

"Yes, it's as if he doesn't want Sakura to know that. I talked to Naruto about this and he says Sasuke might just not want to hurt her feelings."

"My ass!" Ino barked. "Sasuke's only keeping it from her, so she doesn't find out until he's way out of the village where she can't strangle him."

"Those were my exact thoughts at first, but I wanted to see it in a positive light just as Naruto is."

"You're so cute," Ino smiled at her boyfriend's words. "And, well—yeah. I mean, he's an A-hole, but that is also one of the reasons, too."

"So, it's both?"

"Most definitely."

The shop bell chiming throughout the store made the pair turn their heads to see their pinkette friend walk in.

"There you are," Sakura smiled, walking straight to the front desk.

"Where else would I be?" Ino slumped at the fact that she was stuck there for the rest of the afternoon.

"I was looking for you all over the hospital."

"What for?"

"Could you maybe work on my scheduled patients for tomorrow?" Sakura batted her eyes. "Please?"

"Oh, right," Sai smiled. "That's what I was forgetting to tell you," he said and then turned away to avoid Ino's instant glare.

"If you knew she was going to ask me, you should've given me a heads up to hide," Ino barked.

"Please?" Sakura repeated.

Ino frowned her way. Her patients always had that disappointed look on their faces simply because she wasn't the world's best medic and that's what they had paid for. It'd be a day full of frustration. But she knew her friend needed as much break time from the hospital as her workaholic self would take, which was the only reason she reluctantly agreed. She didn't care about whatever team seven had planned for tomorrow night.

"I fixed the vase," Sai voiced showing her his work.

Ino smiled, seeing it looked as good as new. Everything in the store that'd been taped together had been fixed by him even before they were official. He had made the store better and helped out so much every time he could. She was incredibly grateful for him and so in love that the mere sight of him fixing a vase made her heart skip. She couldn't believe how she was able to live without him before. He made everything better, brighter, lovelier.