Hearing his cries was too much for the alpha and turned his back on Teru to direct his anger at Abaddon, their tormentor who would never let them live peacefully.

Lucas ran fast, unintentionally jerking Teru around. The distance widened. Kieran and Abaddon exchanged more bitter words, but they were now too far away to know what was being said. He lost sight of them and the towering gate when Lucas weaved in between the crumbling buildings.

No! That will not be my last memory of him!

He squirmed, pounding on Lucas's chest with his balled-up fists. "Put me down!"

"Like hell I will! We're almost there, anyway!"

"Where-?" Teru saw what Lucas referred to and stopped struggling. It was parked on a patch of sidewalk grass rather than the road, where the curb was blackened with tire streaks. An entire row of newly planted trees were toppled over, splintered at the bases. He had seen plenty of action movies with Kieran to know that an idiot who couldn't drive had done this damage.

Lucas awkwardly dug into his pocket and placed a key on Teru's lap. It jingled against a golf ball-sized diamond keychain. "Hold that for a sec."

Teru looked at the key, then at the car...key again...cracked sidewalk...

"L-Lucas..."

"Yeah?" he responded, out of breath.

"Did you drive that?"

That, being a matte black hybrid vehicle that was a mix between a military tank and a truck. The heavy-duty metal was impenetrable, held together by welded bolts bigger than a quarter. The broad tires could climb over rocks and the steepest of mountains. Those trees didn't stand a chance against the spiked, caged grill in the front. Given the fresh scratches on its roof and sides, did...they manage to somehow roll the dang thing over?!

"Tell me you're not the driver, Lucas. Please."

"Uh." Lucas avoided Teru's eyes, already a sign he was going to lie. "No..."

"Lucas!"

"Fine, yes! I drove it here! Don't judge me, okay? I only tried twice-"

"Twice?!"

"Yep! Twice! More than you, probably," Lucas snapped and clumsily opened the door. Its hinges squeaked from the weight. The inside scent smelled of seat leather and vanilla.

Vanilla?

"Is this your car?"

After Lucas stepped on the attached ladder and placed him in the backseat, he dangled the key in front of his face. "Do I seem like the type to carry a freaking sparkly diamond? Or hang fuzzy pink cubes? No."

Teru saw the magenta accessory swinging on a chain link from the mirror. "Those are dice, Lucas."

"Ugh!" He slammed the door in Teru's face, leaving him confused.

Lucas opened the driver's side door seconds later, got in, and turned it on. Teru watched him fumble with the complicated arrangement of buttons and switches. The wipers swished back and forth, the heat blasted through the vents, music boomed from the speakers before shutting off, etc.

Lucas caught him staring. "Oi, don't look at me! Get dressed! That thing you're wearing isn't enough for this weather. What in the world was that bastard prince thinking?" The last part was a low gruff, probably meant to be a thought and not said aloud.

Teru ignored his friend's hatred for Kieran and questioned, "Dressed? In what-?"

On the floor next to his feet were two large duffle bags big enough to each fit a body, belonging to him and Kieran. He hadn't seen them since the evening of the event when Blaise came over to the penthouse to dress him up like a pretty doll for the aristocratic alphas. Teru unzipped his bag and saw his favorite wolf toy on top. His finger skimmed over the crystal eyes, custom-ordered by Blaise. There was no ring, though, no doubt lost somewhere. Underneath his plush were multiple outfits, more suitable for late winter and early spring. Shouldn't their bags still be in the penthouse, burned to ash from the fires?