Chapter 16

"No fucking way," breathed Gram, staring at Raphael. "You're Sullivan?"

Mikael hugged Raphael's shoulders and glared at Gram. "He's mine, so don't get any funny ideas."

Raphael laughed and squeezed his boyfriend's waist. "That's right, Mika. And you're all mine."

Gram fake gagged. "Ew," he playfully groaned. "You both are too sweet—pretty sickly, to be honest."

Mikael grinned. "Raphael is definitely too sweet for sure. He's such a snuggle-bug."

Raphael's jaw dropped. "How could you reveal my innermost precious secrets?"

Gram suddenly laughed and commented, "You're a little different now. Not as gruff or tense."

"Yup, my cute boyfriend's major issues have been dealt with and now we can make out in the hall or go on dates after school with no problems. Right?"

Raphael snorted with a soft laugh. "You're so cute, Mika."

Gram grinned and ruffled Mikael's hair. "Isn't he? My bestie's the best."

"Hey..." Mikael pouted, moving his hair back into place. "You bend over and let me mess up your greasy-ass hair."

Gram gasped. "Ugh, how rude! It's styling gel!"

Mikarl rolled his eyes with a laugh on his lips, then beamed after Raphael's right arm curled around his waist. He turned his head and kissed Raphael's cheek, hugging his boyfriend's shoulders with his left arm. Gram then curled his left arm around Mikael's shoulder, but he yelped after getting his side pinched by Raphael.

"You're so mean, Sullivan! I just want to be with my bestie."

Raphael snorted. "You got a hell of a lot more time with your best friend than I did with my boyfriend over the past couple weeks or so. Let me enjoy some time with him, okay?"

Gram shrugged one shoulder. "You totally have a point there. I was basically making you jealous as fuck off to the side while I manhandled your hot boyfriend like you wanted to—ouch, stop pinching me!"

"You deserve it, you bastard."

Mikael couldn't help his soft giggle. Raphael grinned and pecked his boyfriend's left cheek, pulling him closer. "How are you so fucking adorable, Mika? You're turning me on."

"Okay, that's enough for me! I'm done!" exclaimed Gram, hiking his backpack higher and walking faster. "I do not want to hear about anything from my horny gay friends!"

As Gram pulled ahead, Mikael chuckled and then noticed Raphael's eyes were slightly red. "What's wrong, babe?"

"Does he really think of me as a friend?"

"Yeah, of course. Gram is a great, friendly guy. He doesn't lie either."

"I know. I just wanted to hear it as a confirmation, I guess."

Raphael was smiling gently, so Mikael was somewhat entranced by the soft expression. He leaned over and lightly kissed Raphael's right temple, resting his forehead there for a moment.

"Ael, I like you so much. You are such an amazing person. I can't tell you how much I admire your strength and tenacity, Raphael Sullivan."

Raphael turned and tucked his face down onto Mikael's right shoulder. "I feel so weak and helpless, though. I've been crying so much and I couldn't even do anything to protect you from—!"

"Ssh, Ael, just breathe. Breathe with me."

The pair breathed deeply together and slowly let out their breaths. They repeated that a few more times until Raphael assured Mikael that he was not about to burst into tears again.