22 - The Antidote Comes with a Price

"So we're all going back to Central huh?" Edward rotated his automail arm and clenched his fist a few times to be sure it was functional. He punched the air and smiled, feeling much better now that he was all fixed up.

"I can't wait!" Winry squealed in excitement, her eyes sparkling.

At the brief mention that the next stop in your journey was Central, Winry begged to take her with you. She wanted to visit the Hughes family again, and of course you would never turn down more time with her.

Ling invited himself along, insistent he would stay with you until he got some answers about the stone.

Edward reached his arms over his head, stretching his sore muscles all throughout his core. "Man I'm tired of being beaten around," he referred to the many thrashings he'd received in the last few days.

"You deserved most of it," you joked, earning a glare from him.

"What about you? Maybe you should take the beating sometimes," he barked back, making you laugh.

"Now hold on a second who was it that said they weren't gonna let anything happen to me, hm?" You teased him, poking his chest a couple times.

He gulped and turned his nose. "Don't get me wrong that was circumstantial," he fibbed out of pure embarrassment.

"What changed between now and then?" You put your hands on your hips, staring up at him.

"Then I wanted to protect you, right now I want to kick your ass," he said through his teeth.

"Ah I see," you giggled. "I'd like to see you try," you tested him, bumping him with your hip as you walked by him. He stumbled and looked back at you with clenched fists and an grouchy frown. You walked to Winry and grabbed her hands, smiling happily. "Thanks again for everything Winry, I'm sorry Ed is such a pain in the ass," you apologized on his behalf, making him scoff. "We'll be back tomorrow."

"See you then," she squeezed your hands, happily smiling. She let you go and waved as the three of you left the shop.

"You're the real pain in the ass you know that?" Ed grumbled to you who in turn laughed.

You walked down the dirt road side by side in a comfortable silence, looking up at the sky and hoping it would stay clear. Your jumbled thoughts jumped from one thing to another, and your mind ended up on the topic you tried to avoid most- your brother. You stopped in your tracks and looked at the ground in deep thought. "Wait," you chewed at the inside of your lip. "I need to make a quick stop," you said as you turned on your heel and walked back in the opposite direction.

The brothers shared a look before curiously watching you. They followed after you without much thought, refusing to let you go wherever you were headed alone. "Where to?" Al asked.

"I want to ask Gavin if my brother had any ties with the Homunculi," you said casually.

The last time you spoke to Gavin he made it clear he was still trapped by the man that killed your brother, so he really may not be of any use. It's worth a shot, you thought to yourself.

"That seems like a risky conversation (Y/n)," Ed worried, grabbing your shoulder and spinning you around to face him. "Listen I really don't like that guy," he stopped you in your tracks, forcing you to look at him.

"Ed's right (Y/n), we can't trust him," Alphonse said, grabbing your other shoulder to make a point. You looked between the brothers with big eyes and smiled sheepishly, feeling an overwhelming sense of joy over the simple fact that they openly cared about you.

"Look I know those guys haven't exactly shown us the best hospitality but we really don't have to worry about him okay?" Your tried to reassure them. "Gavin actually cares about me. You don't have to come, I'll meet you back at the hotel-"