9 - Masked Man (Part 1)

Warning: Violence, gore, language.
_____________________________

"Do you have any idea how worried we've been?! And what's this about you acting as a State Alchemist and becoming a target for Scar?!"

Yup. Hughes had a lot to say. From the time he said goodbye to you at the station, he learned of your heroic acts to save the Elric brothers. He knew from the time of the incident that Scar attacked, but he heard through the grapevine that you put your life on the line pretending to be a state alchemist.

And he was far from pleased

"Sorry," you stood in the doorway with your head low, taking in all the fatherly scolding he had in him. When he finished with a huff of breath, you fell into his arms, giving him a tight hug. It was unexpected and stunned him.

In the last week, you've learned a lot. You've had fun, you made friends, but you've been let down over and over again. Still, you were closer than you've ever been to your goal, and you knew the road from here would be increasingly dangerous.

"Sissy's home Sissy's home!" Elicia jumped for joy, running to you and hugging onto your legs tightly. You grinned, grabbing her sides and hanging her upside down in the air. She happily laughed, letting gravity take her arms.

"Where'd Elicia go? I only see a monkey!"

For a day... just for a day, I want to be a normal girl, with a normal family.

After taking a long, hot shower, you put on a skirt with a cropped tank top and let your hair flow differently. You spent quality time with Elicia, listening to her talk for hours about her favorite doll and about the friends she's made at school.

She loved you, very much. All she ever wanted was to spend more time with you, and you wished you could give her that. "I hate when you're gone," her soft words broke your heart. You put on a fake smile and tackled her into the couch.

"But Elicia, if I don't make money you don't get any birthday presents!" You said in a spooky tone to which she gasped.

"No presents??"

"None!" Of course it was a lie, anyone could tell. But for her you'd do anything you can to mask the harsh realities of your world.

I hope this little girl never goes through even an ounce of the pain that I have...

"Oh shoot," you heard Gracia from the kitchen. "We're out of sugar, I totally forgot to stop by the market today," you overheard her speaking to herself and chimed in.

"Do you want me to go?" You offered, walking up to the counter beside her.

"Oh would you?" She felt a wash of relief with your kind offer.

"Sure," you smiled as she reached out and fixed your hair endearingly. Whenever you had the chance to offer your help, you did. It wasn't often that you were home, and you knew Gracia didn't understand your lifestyle very well. But she always made you feel safe and warm.

"(Y/n)," Maes Hughes glared at you from the dining table, lowering his news paper. "Will you be okay alone?"

"Of course, it's right around the corner," you walked up behind him, patting his shoulders and squeezing tightly one time. "Relax, I'll be fine."

"I'll get started on dinner while you're gone, and when you come back I'll make some apple pie, how does that sound?" Gracia's words were like magic to your ears.

"It sounds delicious," you nodded in excitement and jogged to your room to grab a sweater and your gun. Even though you wouldn't be going far, you could never be too safe. Especially considering the position you were in with Scar.