32 - Messages and Signals

The new day was unexpectedly colder than it has been. The wind had a strong bite that made your bones ache.

I wish I had a bigger jacket, you pitifully thought to yourself.

With a red nose and your frozen hands shoved in your pockets, you stood in front of the Rockbell graves beside Edward and Pinako. You listened to Edward hesitantly tell her what he knew about their deaths, but most importantly, their accomplishments in the war.

"Thank you. It's good to know my son and his wife helped people. I'm proud of them," Pinako couldn't completely conceal her grief, but she did well.

The three of you silently paid respects, then walked just a litter further to do the same for Trisha.

"So, Hohenheim," Edward looked down at his mother's grave. "Did he even bother to say where he was going?"

"Of course he didn't, and I didn't bother to ask- ahhhh shoot, what's wrong with me," Pinako gave a distressed cry with furrowed brows. "I can't believe I forgot to give him the message!"

"Message?" Ed questioned.

"Yes," she sighed. "A last request from Trisha.
She asked that I tell him she couldn't keep her promise and that she's sorry she died before him."

"What promise?" He asked with a deep frown.

"Beats me," she said honestly. "Sorry to ask this Ed but, could you pass it on if you bump into him?"

"Why should I have to?!"

"I know it doesn't seem like it, but he does care about you boys," there wasn't anything she could say that would make Ed even remotely believe that. He made a sour face and clicked his tongue

"Yeah sure I'll pass it on. Right after I clock him in the face," he turned on his heel and started to walk towards the dirt road. You followed him, looking over your shoulder to Pinako's broken smile.

"Don't you forget to call, you understand?" She spoke in a soft voice.

"Come on we're no babies-" Edward tried to act tough, but you cut him off, bumping your shoulder against his and stopping him in his tracks. His eyes met yours, and he suddenly couldn't retaliate. Though you were able to wordlessly shut him up, it didn't stop him from pouting.

"Of course. We'll call as soon as we get home," you promised. "Bye Granny!"

You walked in a comfortable silence for a few long minutes. The both of you were exhausted emotionally, and needed a moment to process things. Just listening to the sounds of the morning birds and knowing you were there for each other was comforting enough.

"You think Al's gonna be mad?" Edward broke the silence when you stepped off the dirt road and walked into the train station. He plopped down on the bench with a relieved sigh, happy to be off his feet.

You hummed and look down at him. "Of course he is," you smiled.

"Why are you smiling about it?" He grimaced.

"Because he cares, idiot," you sat next to him and leaned against him. You didn't realize how much of a physical touch person you were until recently, when you caught yourself cuddling up with him every chance you got. He never complained, but he was also constantly seeking your touch. Even as the train approached, you stood on the platform and held hands until it came to a full stop. He didn't let go until you were sat across from each other on the train.

Neither of you would dare to address it. You couldn't handle that kind of attention to that particular subject and the embarrassment that came with it.