43 | A Purpose to Continue Living

~

~

~

High school was a shitty place. During Minjeong's senior years, she found no leisure to enjoy what life had to offer and indulged herself in studying. Even though everyone around her was having a blast, she was merely in the corner- looking for various jobs to earn college and hospital money.

While she's always alone studying, one friend constantly nags her to stray away from that lifestyle and relax. Minjeong found it quite annoying, but what could she do? Nothing. That friend was the only good influence she had.

"You'll have just one melon bread again this lunch?!"

Closing her notebook, Minjeong turned to look at the tall guy who stood beside her desk. A faint smile replaced her usual calm expression, and she nodded.

"I have to save as much as possible. Even a single won is worth millions, you know?"

"Minjeong, I can literally just ask my father to sponsor your college tuition."

"No, don't do that. I don't wanna look like some freeloader who takes advantage of you."

The taller tilted his head, "But you're different. You won't do that."

"Look, Juyeon. You're rich, I know." Minjeong snickered, "However, my conscience won't let me off by agreeing to that. My old woman has done a lot for me, and it's my turn to return the favor with my own sweat and hard work. You get me, right?"

Pursing his lips, Juyeon sloped his head down the floor and clicked his tongue. Minjeong is his only friend, and he solely wants her to let the steam off. Due to yesterday's incident about the latter fainting in the middle of PE, like a brother, he felt the need to ensure that she was okay.

But because of Minjeong's secretive nature and top-tier acting, Juyeon couldn't determine what goes around that tricky mind of hers. He could only sigh at this and raise a thumb.

"Hotshot, don't be too hard on yourself."

Minjeong smirked, "I won't."

And so, she picked up her things and placed them into her bag, which brought confusion to Juyeon's face.

"Where are you going now? We have classes!"

"Part-time job."

Before the taller could utter a word, Minjeong evaded by patting his shoulder and swiftly leaving the classroom. Being at the top of the class had a significant advantage regarding the teachers; they won't be suspicious about the latter being absent, so that was fine.

Earning money was much more necessary.

Though unbeknownst to Minjeong, the moment she stepped out of the school boundaries- something crucial happened. She was on her way to that part-time job until the vibration of her phone caused her footsteps to stop and look at it with perplexity.

It came from the hospital, and Minjeong couldn't help but be puzzled upon seeing a familiar doctor's ID on her phone.

Within an instant, the words given out made her face pale.

"Minjeong, you need to come here immediately!"

So she ran and ran- and ran until she finally reached the hospital and hurriedly went up the floors to her grandmother's room. And to her horror, the sound of the heart monitor was the first to greet her when standing in front of the door.