♕ XXXV - UNTIL DEATH

XXXV: UNTIL DEATH

4 YEARS LATER

I heard the door to my office creak open, and a tiny head of black hair popped into vision, followed by the man holding her hand. "Do you really think it's appropriate for a child to visit Solanaceae?" I sent a pointed glare Jimin's way.

"It's not even business hours. Lighten up!" he whined.

"You're such a disobedient little- ugh! Best friend or not, I am your manager, you know? You could at least pretend to listen to me sometimes," I reminded him. "And I don't believe her father would be pleased to see her here, regardless of the time of day."

Speak of the devil.

Jungkook had appeared in the doorway, back from his latest trip just a few hours early, and his eyes lit up the moment he saw her. Yoona. "My baby girl! Have you missed me?" He scooped her little body up into his arms and propped her up on his hip.

"Daddy!" Yoona cheered wrapping her arms as far around Jungkook as they could go. She was definitely a daddy's girl. Nobody made her smile like he could.

Jungkook's own beaming smile only fell when he realized just where his daughter was, and he laid his eyes on Jimin's. "Why exactly is Yoona playing around in our nightclub? You're a shit babysitter, Jimin."

Jimin gave an awkward smile, scratching the back of his head. "It was important that I come here now... Why don't you go visit Uncle Tae, Yoona?"

"Okay, Uncle Chimmy!"

I looked at him curiously, but Jungkook set Yoona down and allowed her to run along to the office next door where Taehyung was working. "What is it?"

"I picked her up from Iseul's like normal and she mentioned to me that she thought Yoona's powers might have begun to manifest..."

Yoona was only three years old, but it was common for children to begin showing the first signs of their godhood early on. Usually, it would be small things- for example, I could flicker the lights on and off in my home and would blather about people's 'colors', or auras. A little scary, maybe, but it was harmless, and it was to be expected of all children born from Gods, so why was Jimin making such a big deal of it? As the God of Fates, he would be able to see exactly which mantle she would take once that began.

"Well," Jimin continued. "You're aware that she will inherit a mantle from one of your two bloodlines..."

"Yes, Jimin," I sighed. "You can skip the history lesson. My father was the God of Travel. My grandparents on my mother's side- the Goddess of Harmony and the God of Spring. Did she inherit one of those? Or is it further back since I am an only child? I believe I had a great grandmother who was the Goddess of Flowers."

"We have an ongoing bet," Jungkook chuckled. "I think she will take a mantle from my side of the family. She's my twin, after all. My little light in the dark."

Jimin sucked his teeth. "I am glad you find this to be an exciting moment, and normally it would be-"

"What?" I interrupted, my tone growing more serious. "What's wrong?"

"Jungkook was right. She did take a mantle from his side of the family. Pretty much the mantle."

Jungkook narrowed his eyes. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure," Jimin nodded.

"What's going on?" I spoke up, flustered.

"Could you leave us for a moment?" Jungkook looked to Jimin.

"Will you tell me what's happening right now?" I grabbed on to his arms as Jimin closed the door behind him and left the two of us alone.

"There are only a few mantles that can be considered challenging to live with due to their nature. I would consider Yoongi's to be one...the nightmares and all..." he trailed off. "The other being that of the God of Death."

My mouth dropped. "So, Yoona inherited your father's mantle?"

He nodded his head slowly.

"What exactly does it entail?"

"She will be able to tell when someone is...and she can ease them on," he explained. "Similar to how Iseul can heal and create- blooming flowers from nothing...she would be able to wilt them. I'm sure your mother will enjoy watching her. They'll be two halves of a whole," he smiled. "Like us."

"Will it be hard for her? Will she suffer for it?" I bit my lip.

"Not with us as her parents," Jungkook assured me, pulling me into a hug and squeezing me tightly. "I'll teach her to manage her abilities, just as my father did. It won't be easy, but he lived a happy life. Yoona will, too."

His embrace calmed me, and I believed his words to the fullest extent. I had long since disregarded the idea of 'good' and 'bad' Gods. I would protect Yoona from judgement, and I would teach her to treat everyone with kindness. "Thank you..."

"I win our best, by the way," Jungkook giggled, kissing the top of my head. "I can't believe my little light is a Goddess of Death, though."

"She's a higher tier God than us, now," I laughed along with him.

"Don't tell her that. You'll give her a superiority complex. I can hear her talking back to us already." Jungkook brushed his thumb along my cheek. "We are pretty good at making Gods," he grinned. "Shall we try again?"

"Can you give me one that looks like me this time?" I pouted.

"We finally got a couple of new Gods on the council, so I'll be spending a lot more time at home," Jungkook explained, placing a soft kiss on my forehead. "I daresay I'll have time to give you as many as you want."

"Just one more."

"Maybe two."

"Maybe one."

"I'll settle for three."