6 - Breaking down

The same evening, Anu was on the call with the guy, whom she asked to be the prosecutor back then.

"Did you ask about taking up the case?" She sat on the couch holding a cup of Caffeine.

"Not yet. I am not sure about it though," the guy from the other side said.

"At least you can try, right?"

"Do you think this is a child's play?... Anyway, I am more curious to hear your side of the story," he said.

There was absolute silence from her side.

"I guess you already met him. How is it going?" he asked.

"Don't even ask me! I literally fuc**d it up," Anu recollected her stupid talks.

"Was it that bad?"

"Way too much! I don't know what has gotten into me. I was like 'You already committed a crime rejecting me. You are going to pay for this pay for that... blah blah blah' I was never this unprofessional in my history," Anu banged her head regretting the actions.

He was laughing out loud. "Whoa! Congratulations for being unprofessional!"

"I thought of acting all cool but it turned out that I acted like a 50-year-old lady carrying grudges," Anu said.

"So, the cat was trying to be a lion?" He was being sarcastic.

"I called you assuming that you will help me out. I guess I am wrong," she reconsidered her decisions.

"I am sorry!" he tried to stop laughing. "I will try to help you out," After a pause, "Um, what was his reaction like?" he asked.

"He cried," she said.

"WHAT?"

"I know! So stupid of me to make him cry and - "

"So stupid of him to cry just like that," he completed the other half. "I don't blame him though," he further said.

"Was I that rude?"

"Um, talking about the satisfaction he got from seeing his wife's burning body when you actually have no idea about it, was kind of too much," he said.

"Isn't it? Even I feel the same".

He could figure out what she was going through just by listening to her voice. It was clearly visible that she was sorry for him.

"By the way, how did you know about him burning down the photos?" he asked.

"I swear, that was a pure guess! But looking at his reaction, it turns out to be true," she shared the highlight moment.

"Oh. My. God!"

"Exactly! I was so shocked, like, I literally got goosebumps. Besides - "

"Anu, open the door. There's a surprise for you," he said, interrupting her in the middle.

"Sh*t! Don't tell me you are out there," she walked towards the door, being all excited. When she opened the door, she saw a guy holding a box.

"Take that one," the guy on the call said. She took the box and signed on the paper.

"What is this?" she asked, holding the mobile with the help of her shoulder. There was absolute silence on the other side.

When she unboxed it, she found a cake with a letter.

Don't give up, it's going to be alright! Even if it is not, I promise I will MAKE IT RIGHT! The letter said.

"Thank you so much!... Love ya!" she said, licking the cream on the cake.