7 - Pretending

The tongue-tied drive with countless thoughts made Anu lose control over the pace. Rage, frustration, disappointment, pain, bitter memories... It was like being anxious and depressed at the same time. Physically and mentally drained. One hand on the steering, another on the window laying her heavy head on it, having nowhere to take it out, she took it all on the drive crossing the speed limits.

Karthik was too scared that they'd end up in an accident. Holding his dear life in his warm hands, he sat tight. In the meantime, she got a call. Thanks to the one who called her, her thoughts had a commercial break.

A very good friend of hers, the 'I wish he's the prosecutor' guy, called her. That one call put her at ease, that one call helped her to organize her thoughts. She answered the call. "I will talk to you later," was the only thing she said without even hearing his statement.

That call was not the commercial break for her thoughts, instead, the climax.

"If you have anything to talk about, you can, Karthik," she striked a conversation because who wouldn't be curious about the relation Aditya and Anu share after witnessing their bitter conversations.

The intern took this as an opportunity to clear his doubts. "I am not sure if I am allowed to say this - "

"Then don't," Anu interrupted. Everytime he is given an opportunity to speak this is how he starts and Anu is very well aware that if this is how the conversation starts, then a bunch of facts are to be showered by him out of which all of them are true.

"Today, after hearing your talk, I think I understood what exactly happened," Karthik said, which didn't surprise her a lot.

"Good for you!" she exclaimed being unbothered. Having no idea of how to react to that, he just sat silent and the tongue tied drive continued till they reached their law firm. Right after parking the car, she went to her room and on the other side, Karthik took all the case materials, his belongings, her notebook and went to the cabin.

He felt sad for her and hated himself for not being of any help in spite of knowing everything. After organizing the things he brought, he borrowed the chair and sat opposite to her.

In spite of all the mess, she looked all strong and fierce. The 25 year old was concerned as he was not sure if she is built differently or she is just pretending to be strong.

After pondering around all his questions, he pooled up his courage, "Ma'am..."

"Karthik... " both of them called out for each other at the same time. Out of respect, Karthik asked his senior to go first.

"Let's visit the crime," Anu dropped a huge rock. It took quite a lot of time to get back from the shock. The activated insecurities of Karthik, who has Hemophobia as well as Necrophobia, made him numb.

When he thought of stating out ifs and buts, he was reminded of what his brother told.

"If not now, then some other day, I got to do this... I mean, that is what my line of work deals with. So why not, getting over it today?!" He had a self-conversation. When he was so lost in thoughts, Anu snapped her fingers, making an effort to bring him back.

Anu judged him for a moment. "Don't tell me you believe in ghosts!" Anu guessed his fears because that is how she was during her first three crime cases. Due to the exposure of different kinds of corpses that were in its worst state, she just got used to it.

Karthik accepted his fears.

"Don't worry. When you face enough of your fears, life doesn't seem difficult anymore," She said. After a pause, "It is said that when you fight your fears, you are in a battle forever... but when you face your fears, you will be free forever! There's a difference between fighting and facing," She said.