11 - The unexpected rendezvous #2

Anu was not sure if Aditya said the truth or not. It was difficult for Anu to trust him because his mouth says something else and eyes say something else. Not knowing if she has to follow her eyes or ears, Anu found herself in the middle of nowhere.

She could see through his wicked thoughts as well as his unstable mind and neither of them were lying. When she was surrounded with thoughts that echoed inside her brain, she got a call from a friend of hers.

Anu looked at Karthik. "Excuse me, I need to take this call," she informed him and made her way out. Looking around in the search of a safe spot, she chose to stand near the balcony.

"Hello?" She answered the call by placing her hands on the handrail.

"So, finally you got some time to answer my call?" He was angry.

She apologized a minimum of five times to convince him. "Just a bit occupied with work, dear," she said in the most convincing tone which melted him right away.

"You are excused!" He said. Once she was done seeking apology and he was done excusing her, she asked him the reason for calling her.

And this time, he started to apologise. "I tried my level best to be the prosecutor for this case but... "

"Don't dare to complete it," she warned him.

Though she warned him, he didn't stop. "The case is not in my hands, Anu," he said and the minute he said that, she hung up.

For a moment she felt like throwing out the phone far away. Unfortunately, it was not as easy as she thought.

She went in to her room with a heavy heart

"Ma'am, we have a problem," Karthik informed her the moment she opened the door.

"Oh, so there's more!" She mumbled.

"Our case's first hearing dates are here and they both are on the same date," he whined, while Anu had no idea about the other case.

"What do you mean by 'our case' ?" She completely forgot about the case she assigned to him and finally when Karthik reminded her, she realised that there was such a case.

"I am sorry, I couldn't focus that much on your first case," she was generous to him to which he replied saying, "It's okay, Ma'am. You were already too busy," Karthik acted all mature. He continued, "But... I really want your presence on that day, Ma'am," he wished.

Without even having a second thought of how things are gonna work, she made him a promise. "No matter what happens, I will be there, I promise!" She supported her little brother.

When he heard it, he was excited but when he started to analyse how she is going to manage two different things, he hated the thought of adding pressure on her.

"By the way, we didn't discuss the case yet, right?" She recollected the last time she left the discussion in the middle. Karthik nodded yes to her.

"How about having it?" She asked.

"Um, right now I don't have the case materials with me, Ma'am. Can we have it tomorrow?" He asked which she accepted right away.

And according to the plan, the next morning they discussed the case Karthik was assigned to, in the very first hours.

His statement did have some loopholes. Anu helped him and guided him how to put up with them.

After having the discussion, "You really did a great job!" Anu complimented him which made him feel shy. He thanked her for supporting him.

"What are your plans for today?" She wanted to know his schedule as the main tasks have been completed.

"Um, Nothing much. Have to meet the client once then look into the case again and practice. That is all I guess," he informed his day plan and asked her if she has some work with him. She replied saying, "No, I don't. Just a casual question".