2 - Flash of memories

Karthik started working on the case right from day one. He is not someone who procrastinates their work

"Do you need any help?" Rajesh asked his younger brother so that he won't get scolded by his evil boss.

"No. I don't need your help. Anu Ma'am asked me not to seek any help from you," Karthik said.

"As if she installed a CCTV in our room," Rajesh said even though Karthik was not paying attention. Karthik was busy reading the materials regarding the case.

Rajesh continued saying, "She won't know even if I - "

"Will you please leave? You are not allowing me to focus," Karthik warned his elder brother, which was quite new for him.

"You changed a lot just in the span of one day," Rajesh complained while leaving the room.

Though Karthik asked his brother not to disturb him, Rajesh kept an eye on him as he was worried about his beloved brother's first case. He gave warm milk around 11 o'clock and a glass of warm honey water around 1 o'clock. Every time he came, he caressed Karthik's luscious black hair.

Karthik loves to get pampered, loves to get his hair caressed and loves to get his cheeks pinched.

He was deprived of parental love yet his elder brother never made him feel that way.

He loved the way his brother was taking care of him. "If this is how you are going to take care of me, can you please bring me a glass of caffeine next time?" Karthik asked to which his brother agreed immediately.

When Rajesh went to give him caffeine around 2 o'clock, Karthik was sleeping on the floor surrounded by a bunch of papers on one side and a stack of snack wrappers on the other side. The entire room was a mess.

Rajesh felt proud looking at his baby brother who worked so hard. He took a pic of him and sent it to Anu so that she would know how hard he worked.

Anu texted him back saying, "He is not the only one working hard". Text from Anu at such time shocked Rajesh.

"Didn't you sleep yet?" Rajesh asked her out of curiosity to know the reason behind her being an Owl.

"Your brother is not letting me sleep," Anu complained out of frustration.

"Well, now that he is asleep, I think you can sleep too," Rajesh texted her back.

"He slept? This is the best text I have received so far this year. Finally, I can sleep. Good night," she texted him.

After sending a 'good night' text to her, Rajesh placed a pillow under his brother's head and covered him with a duvet.

"You did great!" he whispered, caressing his hair. He turned the lights off and slept peacefully.

The next morning, Rajesh woke up to the utensils noise that was being made by his little devil who was quite excited and confident about his first case.

Karthik didn't let his brother sleep all night and now he was disturbing his sleep in the morning too. "If this is how you are going to act, I hope this is your last case," Rajesh walked out of his room with swollen eyes and tired face.

"Don't say things like that on the first day to work," Karthik said while making his not-so-perfect breakfast.

"Then what am I supposed to say? You didn't let me sleep all night by staying awake and now you are making noises early in the morning," Rajesh rubbed his eyes.

"What are you making?" He expressed his concern despite all his complaints.

"I am done with making toast. Can you just - " Karthik looked up and noticed his brother who was already lying on the table.