Angel of the Abyss

Start from the beginning

Teru is pregnant. He is injured. While carrying my pups.

Kieran felt his heart jump a million stories up. Never had he been so scared in his entire life than when hearing Teru's high-pitched whine. That was a sound he never wanted to hear again. The alpha growled, barring his fangs.

Pride wanted blood. His gender wanted blood. Kieran wanted Abaddon's blood.

He sped over to Teru, who was about to leap at Abaddon for a second round. The king was trying to connect the pieces of his fractured skull together caused by the wolf's strong teeth.

Like hell you'll fight! It's not an omega's job to protect the alpha!

Kieran released his pheromones. Teru stopped when his hand brushed over the white patch of fur.

My virtue's symbol.

The texture was the softest. Kieran found himself face deep into the fur on its neck. The scent was overly sweet, like brown sugar made straight from freshly extracted sugarcane molasses. It overpowered the decaying smell of his sin around him, putting him at ease. His purr rumbled low in his chest.

"You-," Kieran started to say. He was truly at a loss for words. How could he explain exactly how he felt when seeing this most amazing creature? "You...are a miracle." Everything this human was shouldn't exist in this hopeless world. It didn't deserve him, a source of light. He was convinced that Teru's circumstances and Kieran seeing him on stage was divine intervention, because what were the chances of the stars aligning for them to be at the same place, at the same time, at a blood slave auction? He knew the story-Teru shouldn't have left the caves that day.

None of it was a coincidence.

Teru squirmed, forcing Kieran to look into his warm brown eyes. He couldn't help it. Kieran placed his forehead onto the wolf's, stroking its fur from ears to shoulders. The alpha memorized every ripple of muscle.

"Don't fight anymore. Don't put your body at risk. Let me handle the rest."

Kieran smiled when the wolf's tongue licked his lips. Okay, Teru purred.

Suddenly, they both flinched at the electric aura in the air, giving them goosebumps. He moved Teru behind him, spreading his arms out to shield his mate. Teru put his tail between his legs and stepped back, sensing an immense threat. The few survivors nearby gasped and froze where they stood, shocked at what they were witnessing.

Abaddon had most of his skull fixed, skin and hair stitching together at the seams except for a few spots where his brain was visible. He lifted himself from the ground, leaning back like a demon-possessed human. In one spine-popping motion, Abaddon straightened up, looking at his feet, breathing heavily. His fingers were tense as he abruptly looked at the destined pair. His one red eye glowed.

"I never did finish my job. The fifth wave isn't over. Should it end before lunchtime?"

A mound of squirming muscles slithered on his upper back. Abaddon glanced at the skyscrapers, evilly showing the tips of his vampire fangs. His mouth curled into a satanic smile. Kieran eyed the buildings, too.

Shit...

This was why Abaddon coaxed him to the middle of New York City. It was a trap. Evading what was about to happen unscathed would be impossible.

The squirming on his shoulders moved faster. A lightning bolt flashed through the cloudless sky, followed by a deafening blast of thunder.

"Woe! Woe! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the trumpet blasts about to be sounded by the other three angels!" Abaddon yelled, referring to the Bible's Revelation 8:13. His voice enhanced as if he was talking through a speaker.

Teru howled to the sun, sending a warning. Who was Teru howling to-

SCHLIP.

A gruesome sound of splitting flesh made Kieran panic. Buckets of blood flew everywhere. That amount would've been more than enough to empty ten bodies, but Abaddon was not normal. He hunched over with his arms crossed over his chest, feeling the full agony of releasing two extra limbs that had not seen the light of day in centuries, hiding within his body.

The heavens cursed his wings long ago when he turned his back on them.

Once upon a time, Kieran had seen Abaddon's wings in all their glory when he fell like a shooting star, sent here to begin the next apocalyptic wave. Shining white feathers had covered them, their length reaching the clouds when fully extended. Golden sparkles once shimmered on the beautiful appendages, leaving a trail of pureness only an angel could have. When Abaddon took flight, a gust of hurricane-like winds would knock everyone off their feet. Kieran admitted he was in awe the first time saw Abaddon's wings. Don't even get him started on Envy's jealous tantrums upon seeing them.

But now...

The curse had taken its toll. His wings unfurled. Their size shrunk. Burned feathers detached and fluttered to the ground, revealing charred, hole-littered skin underneath. The glorious bird wings resembled more like a diseased bat. Only a few feathers were left, soaked in black, runny tar. Many bones were broken, hanging by thin threads of ligaments. Abaddon forced them to stretch straight out. A tear of blood fell down his pained face, feeling how the heavens had punished him by taking away his symbol of grace and favor.

This was a fallen angel.

It was silent. The ocean breeze quieted. No one breathed. The earth stopped turning. Another lightning bolt zigzagged above, blinding everything. The boom of thunder never came, not daring to disturb the tension. Abaddon's grieving eyes reddened with blood, crying crimson tears.

"Run," Kieran whispered to Teru. The black werewolf didn't move, terrified.

Abaddon lifted his foot.

"RUN!" he roared, grabbing the scruff of Teru's nape and forced him to go. This area would become ground zero-

When Abaddon's foot slammed on the road, a violent earthquake jolted beneath them, likely affecting all corners of the planet. Crevices cracked the ground, revealing pipes, subways, rocks, and soil. Buildings crumbled. Dust choked the citizens. Flying bugs stormed out of the growing fissures, attacking anything that moved to eat their bodies. People shrieked, trying to swipe away the buzzing insects. It wouldn't be long before they were nothing but bones. The sniper who had shot at Kieran earlier was laying lifelessly next to the car. The gun was in his hand, legs already clean of meat. The pests nibbled the soldier's heart to nothing.

Locusts! If I remember the story correctly, the nastier ones will come soon.

The increasing earthquakes made Kieran trip over a forming canyon while trying to direct a giant, anxious wolf. This wasn't working! "Love, you need to shift back-"

A new fissure split between him and Teru, forcing him to let go. It grew wider by the second. Through the hellish smoke, he saw his mate frantically pacing to find him. Kieran cursed when Teru went into a building, probably running on animal instincts than human common sense to stay put. Staying where you are was the safest thing to do! Damn it!

And that high-rise hotel Teru just disappeared into was about to collapse. The wolf howled from the inside. It sounded different. Distressed.

He's hurt.

When the earthquake stopped, Kieran peered over the bottomless crack. The end to go around it was nowhere in sight. He'd have to jump across. It was possible but...

I need more runway than this.

Kieran went farther back in an alleyway, positioning into a sprinter's stance. Before dashing forward, praying for the best to get across, he did something he never had to use before. Not even being held captive for decades by the hunters made him use it, which was simply his pride's stubbornness.

But this was different. Abaddon, the fifth trumpet and angel of the abyss, had made his next move on the chessboard. The outcome wasn't looking good. The lightning storm was more aggressive, signaling the start of the end.

Pride summoned his siblings, the other deadly sins. If he wanted to win this war, he had to accept that he couldn't do it alone.

They would come soon.

Using the next boom of thunder as a starting pistol, Kieran ran.