Chapter 21 : Discovery and Secret?

After a while of sitting in silence, Baraq decided to speak.

"Have you talked to anyone? How are you feeling?" He asked slowly, not knowing how to broach the topic. "A woman is claiming to be my mother! What do you expect me to feel?" She spoke, her emotions were haywire, should she be angry? Happy? Irritated? Confused? Excited? Nervous? What should she feel?

"She is your mother!" He spoke calmly, his tone calm although he was anything but calm from inside, his pretence didn't break in front of her.

"Who is she to you? And why are you taking her favour? How do you know?" She asked in irritation, She wanted to shout at him for taking someone else side in front of her, but she was already in a maze of emotions and she didn't want her only support, him, to be lost just because of her childish behaviour.

"She is my Mumanijaan, and I am not taking her side because of that. Maya, I have seen her, not only her but the whole family suffering because they lost you. You don't know the whole story" Baraq tried to rationalize to her.

(Maternal Aunt, Wife of maternal uncle)

"Then tell me the whole story, let me know! It feels like I have been dark my whole life, my whole life was a lie and now nothing makes sense to me" She tried to rein over her emotions but her words came out choked as she started whimpering by then, her tears which have stopped just some time ago started again.

Baraq couldn't help but gather his wife to his chest once again, and this time he didn't attempt to calm her down instead he started speaking about the past, he realized that if she has to know the truth, her tears were inevitable.

"You were the first girl in this family. The whole family was ecstatic to have a princess, everyone was so delightful and glad. The celebration of your birth was held for three consecutive days, they did a lot of charity and distributed food and clothes to the needy. I still remember perfectly how small and fragile you looked, I was afraid to even touch you" He smiled ruefully at the memory, Maaysaa's gaze was stuck on him wanting to know further, if they were that much happy then how did she end up in an orphanage?

"You were fifteen days old when they took you to the hospital for the regular checkup and vaccinations, Mumaanijaan couldn't hear you wailing loudly due to the pain of needle piercing, and she went away to the corner when your weight was being checked. And then suddenly the fire alarm went off in the hospital, the hospital had caught fire by then, the people started scrambling here and there, Mumaanijaan was trying to come towards the direction where you were but the commotion didn't let her, she somehow managed to come to the place but by then the nurse handling you was nowhere in sight." He sighed loudly at the end, Maaysaa's tear ducts seemed to have no stopping today as the waterworks were still ongoing.

"It took three hours to control the fire, many people, nurses, doctors and babies lost their lives in that fire. The hospital was sued for negligence and it shut down. They tried every way to find you or gather any information that would say that you are alive but they couldn't find any clue or evidence about you! They all were devastated about your loss and from that day onwards every year whenever that day is about to come, the gloominess proceeds the whole family. They all could not move on from your death, Mumaanijaan kept on blaming herself for it" Baraq explained further as he glanced at her, she was crying hysterically by now, how could she not? She has a family, a mother, a father and siblings.

Baraq forwarded a glass of water to her, she couldn't take it as she was shivering badly due to heart-wrenching sobs, Baraq kept a stone on his heart as he told her everything, he can empathize with her, how she was feeling but he can't do anything to change the situation, she needed to know the truth.

Baraq made her drink water, it was hardly two sips she was able to take due to continuous hiccups, he kept a glass on the side and held her hand in both of his palms as he cleaned her face with his thumbs, her whole face was drenched with tears.

"Maya, Don't cry, it's all over now. You have family, go meet them, and your happiness has already very much overdue. Embrace everything that now life has to offer you" He told her affectionately as he took in her beautiful features, her eyes which have swelled up due to her crying, her nose red and stuck up by now. Her lips looked moist and plump, he sighed out looking at her dishevelled yet lovely for him.

"Get up now" Saying he pulled her up by the shoulders and guided her into the washroom, he took her to the wash inlet and opened the tap. She glanced at him and then flowing water, getting the hint, she stepped forward and washed her face with cold water. He went behind her as he wounded his arms around her waist and rested his head on her shoulder.

Her heartbeat quickened as she peeked at his half-hidden face in the reflection of the mirror. His features seemed visibly tired as his eyes were closed, his hair messy not his usual gelled hair and his attire were also a bit crumpled. She felt bad for him as she glimpsed at him, turning off the tap, she overlapped his hands with hers and leaned back a little in his embrace. They stayed like that for a while.

"It must be difficult for you to absorb everything, but try to give them a chance to explain, try to accept their affection and love. They all are your family" He said still with closed eyes, she exhaled out loudly before squeezing his palm on her stomach and said "It's just this... All feels... Surreal, like a... dream as if when... I would wake up, i'll be all alone" She barred out her concerns in front of him, and he opened his eyes hearing her.

"This is not a dream" saying he pinched her waist, and due to his pinch with a hint of pain, crimson coloured her face due to his action "See, it's real," He said rather innocently unknown to the state of her heart because of his action. 

"And on top of that, you have me with you here all the time. You are not alone in this, we are together in this, hmm?" He asked as he connected his honey brown orbs with her hyperchromatic unique orbs. Hearing him, instead of feeling happy and relaxed, she felt guilty and panicked.

She shrugged away his arms from her and distanced herself, he looked at her in confusion as she refrained from making eye contact with him.

"What happened? Did I say something wrong?" He asked her but she was in her own zone as her thoughts running wild still she heard him, she slowly lifted her eyes to him for a moment before averting them.

She went out of the washroom, and into the room as she paced around not knowing how to tell him what she is thinking.

"Maya tell me at least what is bothering you!" He exclaimed to her and she took in a deep breath to build in the confidence in her to tell him what she wanted, what she needed!

"Baraq I want to ask something from you," She said as she gazed directly into his eyes with confidence and courage, not backing away now. He would have smiled in any other circumstances hearing his name from her mouth but the seriousness in her voice refrained him from doing so. He could feel his heart tremble seeing her stance as he had a gut feeling what she is going to ask from him wouldn't going to be a simple accessory or clothing.

But this was the first thing she was asking from him and he don't have the heart to deny her, he didn't know what he was signing for when he nodded his head. This decision was going to cost him a lot!

"I don't want to tell them I am married, I want to keep our marriage hidden!" And he felt his here lurch in his throat hearing her cautiously started words.

Now, what future behold for them?

~*~

Hey Guys!

I know I am late but I got my exam timetable, although I am not planning to go MIA, updates won't be regular as you can guess.

Tell me how was the chapter? The revelation?

Should I start with no feedback no chapter policy?🥺 You guys don't give me feedback anymore.

Till then the next time, Allah Hafiz!