68

"How did you get in here?" I spoke softly. 

"You enchanted the perimeter, but not the top." Draco pointed at the sky with his finger. 

"How did you find me?" I asked him. 

Draco placed his hands on both sides of my face.  

Draco softly pushed my face up, to meet his. 

"I can find you anywhere, darling.  We make a promise, remember?" Draco leaned in closely as he spoke. 

His breath glided across my skin. 

I began breathing heavily, and loudly.  

"You- you can't be here, Malfoy.  You're gonna get me killed, you're gonna get yourself killed!" I panicked.  

Draco stood taller than me. 

He placed his hands on both sides of me, trapping me in place. 

"Why would either of us be in danger?" Draco cocked an eyebrow at me. 

I looked up at Draco, directly into his eyes. 

They were almost all completely gray.  

There was the tiniest speck of blue, that I was able to detect. 

I was only able to see it, because of how close together we were. 

Looking into Draco's eyes calmed me down a bit, I'll admit. 

"Don't act foolish, Malfoy.  I know." I shook my head at him. 

"You know what?" He questioned me. 

"I know my picture, along with Harry, Ron, and Hermione's are posted all over the Wizarding world.  We know the Ministry is looking for us. And... I know about you, Malfoy. I know you're a deatheater." I closed my eyes, and turned my head away from him. 

The words burned my mouth, as they exited.  

"I promise, I'm not here to hurt you, I don't mean to scare you.  My father got me in this mess, and I'm too deep to get out!" Draco's voice shook as he spoke. 

Small tears began falling from his eyes as he looked down at the floor. 

"Why do you keep coming here?" I asked him.  

Draco took a few deep breaths, and swallowed his cries, before looking up at me again. 

The skin around his eyes and nose were pink.  

"I-I needed to see you.   I wanted to know what I did to upset you, Courtney. But, now I know why.  I deserved at least a goodbye." Draco's bottom lip quivered. 

"Draco, it wasn't safe for me to write back to you.   I tried to push myself to, but I just couldn't.    After seeing you almost kill...." I trailed off. 

I felt the tears build, and fall down my cheeks. 

Draco let his arms fall to his sides. 

"I wasn't going to kill him, I don't think I could ever kill anyone." Draco whispered between his cries. 

I sat back down at the table.  

I looked over my shoulder, back at Draco.  

He stood there ashamed, like a dog when it tucks its tail between its legs. 

"Come sit down, Draco." I whispered. 

Draco looked up at me, and knocked his head. 

He slowly walked over, and sat across from me at the table.  

"Why, Draco?" I asked, as I held my tears back.

"I didn't have a choice." Draco breathed heavily. 

Draco looked sad, like this was eating him from the inside out. 

"Are you scared of me?" Draco softly. 

"I'm scared of the Draco who's a deatheater, that appears at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night.   I'm not scared of the Draco that dances with me at parties, and vomits when he drinks to much." I looked up at him.  

"I promise, I'm still that same Draco." He moved his hands up, and to the top of the table.   Draco placed his hands on top of mine, holding them softly. "I promised you I would protect you, keep you safe.  I promised you, I would find you in the very end."

"How am I supposed to trust you?" I asked him.  

"If you didn't, you wouldn't still have that ring on your finger." 

"Is this that 'thing' you couldn't tell me about?" I asked Draco. 

His eyelids fluttered softly before he spoke. 

"Yes." Draco answered quietly. 

"I wish it didn't have to be this way.  I was everything was back to normal.   I wish I could wake up from this terrible dream." I begged, as I looked up at the ceiling of the tent. 

Draco slowly began running his thumb in circles on the top of my hands.  

"We can pretend that it is, like we used to be." Draco gave me a weak smile. 

"What do you mean? They could be back at any minute." I told Draco.  

He looked at me, and gave me his little smirk. 

"Well, darling.... we can pretend we're back in my room.   We can pretend we were like how we use to be. While we're at it, we might as well.... you know..... do it for old times sake." Draco chuckled as he trailed off. 

God, I missed his laugh. 

"Is that all you came here for?!" I scolded him.  

His eyes grew wide with regret.  

"No, no, no.   It just came to my mind now, when you mentioned how we use to be." Draco defended himself. 

I thought for a moment. 

"What's the likely hood I'll see you again?" I asked Draco.  

"I don't know." He spoke truthfully.

We both were probably more likely to get captured or die, before we saw each other again.  

I stood up from my chair, and Draco did the same. 

Draco knew, that I can never say no to him. 

I walked over, and stood at my bed.  

Draco came, and stood at my side.  

"What do you say, Mr Malfoy... fuck it?" I looked up, and at him. 

"I say... fuck it, Ms Stewart." Draco took me by my hand.