42. Lost Your Mind

Start from the beginning

I know for a fact he doesn't stand a chance. Greyson hasn't done anything to put him at risk and I haven't abused my own child. God, I could never imagine hurting him in anyway. I literally cried the first couple of times he cried when I left him.

"I know we won't. I'm just pissed off that he even thinks he has a big enough chance to try. He doesn't even know his name."

"We got this. We have a good lawyer, although, we really don't even need a lawyer at all, will a judge even see us with this case?" I say as Greyson softly chuckles.

"Depends if he wants to go straight to court or not."

"I was joking, I know how it works." I say, reaching up and rubbing Asher's back as he lay his head on Greyson's shoulder, sucking on a light blue pacifier. "Let's go home. My mom's her way." I say nodding to the car.

✳︎

"Evelyn, what's going on?" My mother asks as we sit down at the table, Chris, Ellie, and Evan seated on the other side as Greyson sits next to me, the baby monitor on the table in front of us.

"Ryan is trying to take custody of Asher." Greyson says, snaking his arm around my waist as everyone gasps at the same time.

"Wait. Dad is trying to take custody of a baby he's never even met?" Ellie asks, leaning forward.

"Does he even know his name?" Chris asks, his knuckles turning white.

"I don't know how he would." I say, looking over at my mom.

"I can't believe he would do this." My mom says, shaking her head. She reaches over, placing her hand over Greyson's. "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault Mom. You can't keep apologizing for him." I say.

"I know. I'm not apologizing for him. I'm sorry that you guys are even having to deal with this in the first place."

"I mean, it's not like he's gonna win." Evan says, pulling our attention to him. "My dad is a custody lawyer. I know how this all works." He says as I nod. "You should probably go ahead and call him, he can pull some strings, try to get you guys a trial ASAP so this all over sooner."

"I called him the minute I read the papers." Greyson says and Evan nods.

"Your dad doesn't stand a chance. He's been arrested for domestic violence, they'll see that and end the trial immediately. But, if for some odd fucking reason they don't see it immediately, I'm pretty sure Greyson hasn't done anything that bad, maybe some drunk stupidness in college," He says trying to lighten the mood and we all softly chuckle, "but nothing on his record and no sex tapes so he's in the clear. It takes a lot to take a child away from their mother. And when I say a lot, I mean solid proof of abuse and then they open a whole other case for that. It's a whole process that lasts forever."

"That was a lot." Ellie says, stretching her hand up above her head. "I can't believe this. He's actually lost his goddamn mind."

✳︎

"Thanks for meeting us on such short notice." Greyson says as he shakes, Evan's dad, Keith's hand.

"Anything for you, Rhodes." He says, nodding, before putting his hand out. "Please, sit." We both sit in the leather chairs across from his desk. "So, let's get started, shall we?"

"Yes, please." Greyson says, leaning back in his seat and placing his hand on my bouncing knee making it stop.

"So, I thought I'd tell you, there is nothing to worry about." Keith says as I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding in. "Yes, you will have to see a judge, per your father's request, but it's not looking good for him. You said he got arrested, what for?"

"Domestic violence." I say as he practically snorts.

"Yeah, he'll get shot down right away and his domestic violence case may even get reopened. So, jokes on him. Just incase they don't shut it down right away, I will bring up questions about Asher. Easy questions someone trying to take custody should know."

"Like what?" Greyson asks, leaning forward in his seat.

"His full name, birthday, his age right now. With babies you get to ask that because he is under a year." He says as we nod, "Now, if something were to happen where you guys have to talk, you'd have to list reasons why your father should not have custody, make everything about him, don't bring yourselves up unless asked."

"But, I don't see any reason for that to happen so don't think too much about it. Now, I got you a trial date a week from now, that would be July 3rd, at 9:35 A.M., look at that, you'll get to celebrate Fourth of July after we win." He says, smiling over at us. "Alright, I think that's all. Call me if you have any questions, and I'll see you next week."

"Thanks, Keith. It means a lot." Greyson says standing up to shake his hand but he pulls him into a hug.

"Quit thanking me. You're basically my son." He pats his back before turning to me.

"And I am glad to have finally met the girl that tied him down." He says before pulling me into a hug. "You did good, Rhodes." He says as we all chuckle.

I pull away smiling up at him, "Thank you." I say and he nods and we start to head out the door.

Greyson snakes his arm around my waist before speaking up, "How the hell am I going to survive 7 more days of knowing that sick bastard is trying to take our baby away?"

Word Count: 1,456