chapter twelve - not letting go

§ Chapter twelve §

*Cadence*

“Well, we’re free to go back home now. You can go back to college…it starts back up in two days.” Harry said. He had that intense look in his eye that gave me chills. I sat across from him at the dining room table, both of our arms stretched out to intertwine our fingers. I played with his thumb a little. “You wouldn’t go back to college with me?” I asked. “Well, no…I dropped out.” I frowned. “I don’t want to go back if you aren’t there.” “I already ruined my future and I’m not ruining yours, Cay.” “Let’s just not go back there. We can make it without college!” He shook his head and looked at the ground for a few seconds. “You’d regret it. I don’t want to be the one to drastically change your life like this.” “You already have. My life is so much different now, Harry. I can’t even imagine going back to my life before you came along.” He gave me a light smile. “You wanted to be a nurse, though. You have to go to college to be a nurse.” “I can go later. This is more important right now.” He shook his head in disbelief. “You’re so stubborn, Cay.” “I know,” I said proudly. “I love being alone with you in our own house.” “So…you’re suggesting we move in together?” he asked with a smirk. “Well, yeah…” He reached across the table to kiss my cheeks. “That’d be wonderful. I still think you should go to college, though.” I got up and went to the kitchen. “Yeah, yeah,”

“Flight 201 will be boarding in 10 minutes.” The loudspeaker rang above us. “You ready?” Harry asked. I nodded and he grabbed my heaviest bag from out of my arm. He took my free hand in his and led me down to the gate. I watched his curls bounce up and down as we made our way onto the plane. His biceps bulged out as he put our carry-on bags in the overhead compartment. “Ladies first,” he smirked. I sat down and watched Harry sweep his curls to the side. “You’re so cute.” I giggled. He looked over at me with a smile. I twirled one of his curls with my finger. “Do you like your hair?” He nodded. “Yeah, I love my hair.” “More than me?” He laughed and flashed me a big smile. “I don’t love anything more than you, Cay.”  

We pulled up at my house that night around 8:00. I gulped when I saw Dad’s truck in the driveway. “It’s okay,” Harry comforted. We walked in the house to find Dad sprawled out on his favorite chair. “Hi, Dad. I’m back.” His eyes shot up and he ran to hug me. “Where the hell were you? I was so worried!” “Yeah, it doesn’t feel too good, does it?” I snapped. Harry’s warm hand grasped my lower back, tugging me into his body. “I’m sorry, sir. It’s my fault. Don’t blame Cadence for anything.” I looked up at Harry and frowned. “No, it was my choice! I went down to Canada, Dad. I followed Harry down there because I love him.” “What were you thinking? You just went and followed this guy down there like a tramp?” My eyes widened at the thought of what he just said. Harry squeezed me tighter with anger in his eyes. “She’s not a tramp.” Harry barked. Dad sighed and looked at Harry angrily. “And who are you?” Harry stepped in front of me. I held tightly onto the black material on the back of his shirt. “Harry Styles,” he muttered. Dad groaned loudly. “How did you meet my daughter?” “College,” I watched Harry’s irritated face. “Oh, yeah, you could afford to go to college? What a bunch of shit.” Dad spat. “Dad! What the hell’s your problem?” I yelled. I knew he wasn’t drunk, but he was acting crazy. Harry sighed. “Yeah, but I dropped out.” Dad smiled, knowing he won the argument. “I bet you made Cadence drop out, too.” “I did it because I wanted to drop out.” I said quietly, Harry’s back muffling my voice. “You dropped out of college?! This is your fault! Just get out now!” Dad yelled at Harry. Harry stepped forward to be inches away from Dad’s face. “I’ve never loved anything more in my life than your daughter, and I’m not letting her go that easily.” Harry whispered before leaving the house and slamming the door behind him.