chapter five - gone

§ Chapter five §

The next day was the start of spring break. We had two and a half weeks off and I had just arrived back home. I had no idea where Dad was; he promised he would be there but he wasn’t. The house was lit nicely by the bright sun as I walked into the kitchen. I put my bags on the counter and shouted “Dad!” one last time. I gave up after no reply. My phone buzzed in my pocket with another text from Harry: Text me when you get there, love. I replied back: I’m here but my dad isn’t. I’m worried. I made myself a sandwich and sat down on the couch with a movie. It was nice to hear something after the long silence. Harry replied back: I’ll be there in a sec. don’t move or get into trouble xx. I laughed and put my phone back in my pocket. 10 minutes later, Harry got there. He joined me on the couch and I snuggled into his lap. “What are we watching?” he asked. I showed him the movie case. “That’s a good one.” I laughed. “What?” he asked. “Nothing…it’s just that your voice is so cute. It’s so deep and your accent is amazing.” “Well, thanks,” he blushed. “Your voice is cute, too.” I scoffed, knowing that it wasn’t.

It was already 1:00 in the morning when I was crawling into bed. Harry put on his jacket and kissed my nose. “Get some sleep, Cay. Your dad will be home before you know it.” “No, don’t leave me.” I whined. “You need your sleep.” He slid on his shoes, making me whimper. “Please stay,” I begged. He gave me a look of sympathy, slid off his shoes, and climbed in the covers. I snuggled up to his chest, feeling it rise and fall below me. I ran my finger through his soft, shiny curls and then let go. I placed a light finger on his soft lips and felt his smile grow under my touch. His fingers squeezed mine as he tightened the grip on my hand. “What are you doing?” He chuckled. I looked up at his beautiful face, admiring his distinctive jaw line. “I’m just looking at you.” I simply replied. He laughed quietly. “You should be sleeping.” he whispered. “I don’t want to sleep. I’d rather do this.” I leaned up and kissed his lips. He moaned and said, “You’re testing my patience. I’ll be right back.” he whispered, getting up to the door. The strong muscles in his back became prominent as he made his way out of my room. He came back with a guitar slung over his shoulder. I lifted myself up with my elbows to see him sit on the chair across the room. He began playing a light melody and hummed sweetly. I closed my eyes and put my head down on the pillow, feeling the cool sheets beneath me. He started to sing—his husky voice and accent made for the perfect voice. He landed on key with every note and gave me chills. “You’re amazing.” I whispered. I heard him let out a deep chuckle.

I woke up the next morning with no Harry next to me. A note was attached to his pillow: You fell asleep so I took off. Just wanted to let you know that I love you and not to worry, I’ll be back over soon. P.S. you’re cute when you sleep xx

I laughed and went out to the kitchen. I threw my hair into a loose ponytail and dug through the fridge, but with no luck. Dad’s car still wasn’t in the driveway. “Where are you?” I whispered. A knock came from the front door minutes later. I slid across the wooden floors and opened it quickly. I was greeted by a cheeky smile and bright green eyes. “Harry!” I laughed, jumping into his arms. He twirled me around and put me back down on the porch rug. He looked down at me and kissed me sweetly. When he met my eyes again, he was serious. “I have to tell you something.” He walked in and paced the area in front of the couch. “What’s wrong?” I asked, sitting down to watch him.

His shirt was low and black as the night sky. He wore a gray jacket over it that matched the bracelets on his arm. His skinny jeans were black, of course, and he wore a pair of black Converse to match. A silver tag necklace dangled from his neck and went to his chest. He pulled it out of his shirt and gaped down at me.

“I have to leave for a while.” he said quietly. “I did something I’m not proud of.” He grabbed my hands and pulled me up to hug him. We kissed and made our way to my bedroom. We got onto the bed and as he hovered over me, he whispered, “I love you so much. Don’t ever forget that, okay, love? No matter how long I’m gone or how far apart we are. You’ll always be mine and I’ll always be yours.” He placed a small kiss on my nose and then my lips. With that he got up, took all of his things, and left.