chapter eleven - importance

§ Chapter eleven §

I circled around the house for the third time. I pushed my ear buds in a little farther and skipped a few songs on my phone before finding a good one. I hummed along quietly and unpacked one of my boxes. A picture of my mother and I slid out and fell on the floor, the screen cracking. I quickly picked it up and blew on it. “Oh, no…” I whimpered. The glass cracked right along her face—her beautiful face. I slid the picture out of the frame and held it in my hands. I had no idea why I even bothered to take the picture with me everywhere; it only made me sad. I put it on the coffee table with a sigh. “Just shake it off.” I whispered, holding back tears.

Harry got home that night at around 9:00. He cradled me from behind and kissed my neck, my back molding to his front. “I missed you.” I whispered. He moaned softly. “What’s that?” He sat down on the couch and reached across the table. My breath hitched when he picked up the picture of my mother. “Is this your mom?” he asked cautiously. I nodded. “You look just like her. You’re almost identical.” I smiled and sat down beside him. “Only your hair is bleached blonde…how come you changed it?” he asked. “I couldn’t handle looking just like her. Some people would see me from behind and mistake me for her, and I would have to explain to them…you know…” Harry nodded as if I didn’t need to continue. Tears flooded my eyes. “So, your natural hair color is brown?” “Yes,” I whispered. “I want to see that.” “No, no way. I can’t let myself look like her again.” “Why not? She’s beautiful and so are you. You should take pride in your mother, and that you look like her. That should make you happy, shouldn’t it?” I shook my head. “I guess…” “Well, that’s it then. I’ll run and get you some hair dye. I’ll be right back.” I grabbed his long arm and tried to tug him back to the couch. “No, Harry! I wasn’t being serious!” He gave me a sympathetic look. “Or maybe I was…” I mumbled. He smiled and left the house after kissing my cheek.

He got home minutes later and helped me up to the bathroom. “See you,” I whispered at him. I sighed, not believing what I was about to do. I gave up my mother’s look a week after she died, so it was a big deal. I knew that Harry saw that in me. He saw that I secretly missed it, but just needed the right amount of push to go through with it. I had no idea how he knew, though.

I opened the bathroom door to see Harry grinning. “You look so beautiful…” he said, pulling me in for a hug. “Thank you, Harry. Thank you for everything. How did you know that I wanted to do this?” He smiled. “I don’t know. Something in you just lit up when I talked about it.” I went over to look in the mirror. I smiled at my reflection. I did look just like my mother, but it made me feel beautiful. I felt stunning as I looked at my wavy brown locks. Harry hugged me from behind and kissed at my neck. He pulled me hair back, running his fingers through it. “You really impressed me today, Harry. I love you.” He spun me around to meet with my lips. “Well, let’s go show off your new look. I’m taking you out to dinner.” I smiled. We went our separate ways and met up downstairs. Harry looked beautiful—like an angel as he stood across from me. He pushed his curls up, so they stood high on his head, showing off his perfect eyes. He wore a gray jacket over a red sweater with, of course, black jeans. I smiled over at him as he reached for my hand. He spun me around, scanning my body. “You look perfect.” he whispered.

*Harry*

She blushed and let out a small smile. I chuckled at her sweet face. The brown hair made her look absolutely beautiful. “I had no idea that you could get more stunning.” I said. On top of her petite frame was a black dress, tight at the top and ruffled on the bottom. A large pink bow hugged her waist snugly. ((picture at the side of the page)) I grabbed her hand and led her to the car. I opened the door for her. She smiled as she hopped in, sadly letting go of my hand. I jogged over to my side and jumped in the driver’s seat. She turned on the radio and hummed along. I looked over at her, giving her a light smile. Who knew that just one person could make you so happy? Like you didn’t need anything else in the world but them…