O.B.W. Ch. 5

Recap:

With the way she'd been laying, curled up as she is, the back of her shirt had rucked up, exposing a jagged scar.

Ch. 5

Curious, I push her shirt up a little farther. I gasp. The scar runs up from her left hip to her right shoulder. I lean down and breathe in. My eyes widen in shock.

He's marked her, I think sadly. My mate is already marked. I smell it now. His scent is all over her. Hatred runs through me as I realize that he'd forced her to mate with him. Her lips were bruised and bleeding, for Christ's sake!

I stand up as I hear the door open.

"Alex." I whisper, not wanting to wake the girl. My girl.

"Brother!" Alex says, excited, as he starts walking toward me. Then he sees my face.

"Why?" I ask. "Why did you do that to her?" I stay calm on the outside, though I'm screaming at him on the inside.

"What did Ido? I see nothing wrong." He says.

My calm facade shatters and I see red. I reach out and grab a handful of his hair, pulling him closer and making him look at her. "Look at what you've done to her!" I whisper-yell. "You don't think that it's wrong?!"

His expression doesn't change. "No." He says. "Because I own her. I can do whatever I want with her."

BeforeI can repl, the girl moves in her sleep, whimpering. Not caring about anything else anymore, I shove Alex into the wall and race to her side. I don't even know her name, yet everything about her fascinates me.

"OW!" My brother says, then curses."You broke my freakin' wrist."

"Be happy that it wasn't your face." I say, but I don't really care. All I care about is her.

What are yo--" He stops and gasps. Looking between me and the girl. "You can't be her . . . " He trails off.

I look at him. "Yes. She's my mate." She moans again and I turn to her, pulling her into my arms, whispering reassurances.