1.

ophelia's pov

i sat outside working on my art portfolio for college. my work was dark. well, i had a dark life. i was abused by my boyfriend.

i didn't even get the chance to choose or truly fall in love with anyone. once i turned 16 my parents set me up in an arranged relationship.

my mom, maryann, is in the same boat as me. she doesn't get beat anymore, but she is constantly put down and yelled at if she makes a mistake.

it runs in the family, the abuse. as my dad quotes, "abuse is the man's job, if the woman doesn't obey the man then the man shall do as he pleases."

it's terrible. i've ended up with a black eye, broken finger, bruises all over my body, and even not being able to move for days.

"ophelia! your boyfriend, charles, has arrived come inside and greet him!" mom yelled frantically from the back porch.

i felt myself pale and took a deep breath. i walked inside slowly and saw the devil himself standing there with my dad.

"hey babe!" charles smiled.

"hey baby! how was work?" i asked with a fake smile.

"it was good! i'm famished!" he spoke with a tiny smile as he handed me his jacket.

charles wasn't mean. he was kind, just raised in an unhealthy environment. he was spoiled and raised up to be a brat. if you don't do what he says he hurts you in more ways than you can imagine. i didn't love him though. not a single part of my body loved in, in fact i think he just likes the power of praying on little girls, as he is 23 years old.

i quickly walked to the kitchen and set the table. mom started to place the food on the table.

"ophelia, sweetie, my fork is crooked. you know how much i hate crooked utensils." charles spoke softly.

i quickly straightened it and apologized profusely. i sat down at the table myself and waited for grace. i personally wasn't religious, but i would probably be beat to death if i said that.

we all sat silently as the men grabbed their dinner first.

"so how was work honey?" i asked cautiously.

"damnit ophelia, you know the rules about discussing work at the table." dad spoke harshly. "make sure to put her in her place later." he huffed.

charles nodded in agreement. "yeah, that really wasn't appropriate."

i shrunk further into my seat and didn't eat a single bite of food after that incident.

i saw mom give me a sympathetic look while she ate her food slowly. i hated my mom. yeah she didn't beat or hurt me, but she didn't do anything to stop it.

after dad and charles left to go sit on the couch, i got up and gathered the dishes and brought them to mom who was cleaning them.

"why don't you ever stand up for me?" i asked mom quietly as i brought the last dish over.

"if i stood up for you, your father would kill me." she mumbled.

i nodded slowly and walked back outside to my art work. i sat down on the stool and continued what i was doing.

i saw charles come in out of the corner of my eye.

"hey babe, what's up?" i asked softly while concentrating on the art piece.

"look at me when you address me." charles spit out.

i quickly put down my art supplies and stared at him.

"what's wrong?" i asked.

TRIGGER WARNING

"you can't get one damn thing right can you? i swear you weren't fucking born with a brain." he spit at me as he walked closer.

he slapped me across the cheek and i quickly fell to the ground.

"i don't know why it's so hard for you to just obey me. why do you have to be so damn stubborn?" he spoke as he kicked me in the stomach.

i groaned in pain and curled up into a ball preparing for the next attacks.

he grabbed me by the hair and put his face close to mine, "the next time you decide to disobey me i'm going to break every single bone in your body." he spit out as he threw me on the floor.

END OF TRIGGER WARNING

in an attempt to catch myself i heard a crack as i landed on my right arm, my dominate artist arm. i immediately cried out in pain.

"oh shit." i heard charles mumbles as he quickly ran over to me. "i'm so so sorry ophelia i didn't mean to go that far."

i sobbed hysterically because of the pain in my arm. charles picked me up and quickly ran me over to my mom who was panicking.

"take her to the hospital, charles let's have a conversation." dad spoke with a ice tone voice.

mom quickly helped me to the car and we drove off to the hospital.