(Sec 2-2) Massacre Ending Epilogue

Zill's POV

It was a long few months. Our story hit the news and even though there was little to no major evidence that the death game Or at least no evidence pointing toward who ran it. The only evidence that was left behind... were the corpses... My soul felt heavier as I heard each of their names. Why were we all there...? Why did they have to die...? The mysteries behind the "Chimerons," Jill, and I...? They all remained mysteries. Safe Haven got a lot darker after that... For a while... Some of the families... Friends of the people who died hated us... Some did understand... Some of those who hated us ended up forgiving us later but... Mackenzie's mother... She may never forgive us... They will... never forgive me... We heard they held a closed casket funeral for those who died. I never went... Just thinking about going made my stomach churn. Addison... Visited Gustav after... He did end up finishing that painting. Back at school, we were always surrounded by people who asked questions. Needless to say... it wasn't the kind of attention that you wanted. They didn't just harass us either. They harassed Jack's mom and Kayla... Kayla tried to avoid it and endured it... She spent as much time with me as she could. I have just upped and disappeared for a few days and dealt with a lot after all but... She always couldn't look me in the eyes. "Let's just take a break," She says but we never did get back together. I couldn't bear to see the cross she gave me around my neck, it felt so heavy. I still carry it in my pocket... Alongside Jack's pin. I gave his mother his arm warmer. She keeps it in her room, but... all the pictures of Jack in the house have disappeared. I sleep on her couch now. You're probably wondering why... My aunt just... disappeared... There was no corpse that was found or anything... She was just... gone... At first I tried to avoid her, but I couldn't stand the look in her eyes... they always seemed so tired and wet. Eventually, graduation came and went... And I just got sick of it... The bloody images of Jack... Damian... Mackenzie and the rest keep replaying in my mind over and over again like a bad catchy song. The fact that they all died and I didn't... Couldn't do anything about it made me sick! You know what... Fuck college! Fuck waiting to do anything!

Over the summer, I joined an underground detective firm. I couldn't let Xirxine get away with this. I didn't have any info beyond that but I know I can get more if I played my cards right. They didn't really need credentials, just people willing to get their hands dirty but... it was so awful... I've seen people die. Horrible, cruel deaths I never wanted to see... So many... I'm probably becoming numb. Never had a by-the-books case where I just had to "prove he cheated" or "find a missing pet". Every job that passed my hands was dirty. And dangerous. I've had to sneak into places running organ trafficking like they're girl scout cookies. There was a coworker I knew, she always dreamed of having a kid of her own and hell, she adopted one of the kids we've saved from that aforementioned trafficking. I sometimes ate lunch with her and that kid. When I finished eating with her one day, she was pushed off the rooftop and killed. I wanted to help that kid we saved but I didn't have the money and she went into foster care. There were times where I had to kill with my own hands. I felt someone's neck break in my hands once. After the first time I vomited and stayed in the shower all night just to get the scent of blood off. I couldn't sleep for weeks. Even if that guy held a baby and mother at gunpoint, being forced to go to that extreme still makes my skin crawl. I couldn't even stand to be in the same house as Jack's mom after that. So, I got myself a shoddy apartment so dirty it might as well be condemned. The shower there didn't even work half the time and when it did the water was brown. I had to go to a nearby gym. Yeah... That bad... Worst of all... Finding info was a slog... I'd be lucky if I find even the smallest piece of Info relating to the Death Game. I tried figuring out the different pieces I had from before, Xirxine and Chimerons... With some new pieces but they just couldn't connect perfectly. I needed to keep looking into Xirxine though... They have to have something but info in the Black Market doesn't come cheap and finding that info on my own isn't easy since I'm assuming they've been keeping an eye on me as well. I can't just march on in and take what I want... Sometimes... I wonder to myself... Why should I bother anymore...? Even if I take those guys down... It's not going to bring them all back...