Chapter 41: Unlocking some hidden backstory

how tf are we at 4k if last week we were at 3.6k- WHERE DO Y'ALL KEEP COMMING FROM!?!?

TW: uhhhhhhhhh Remus lowkey getting triggered but nothing actually happennnssssss, mentions of slavery and vampire huntingggggggggggggggggg idk man lol

It came as a surprise to Logan to know that he could actually turn into a bat, and that it wasn't as hard as when he had first tried. It had taken him a bit to figure out, but when he had fought with Roman two weeks ago... the reason he had reached home so fast and didn't recall it is because he had turned into a bat and flew there. When this discovery was made, Logan continued to practice. As Janus had promised, once you got a hang on it, it became easier.

That night, Logan kissed Roman goodbye after the performance before going outside. He walked off to an empty street and became a bat, flying towards Janus's house.

As a normal human, it would've taken him much more time to get there, while as a bat it took him around the same time as if he was going by car. This way, he would exercise, practice with his new powers and save fuel.

It was strange, how he could see as a bat. Logan was naturally nearsighted, meaning he needed glasses to see far away objects, he always had, since he was 7. But as a bat? It was so much easier to see. Contrary to popular belief, bats could see, and fairly well. It was a pleasant surprise to find this out.

By the time Logan finally arrived, he was tired, exhausted. He knocked on the door and was opened by Patton. Why was the kid always there when someone came? Did he sit by the door as a hobby or something?

"Logan!" Patton hugged him, "Hi! You look tired"

"I- I am, I'm a bit tired," Logan nodded, "I came flying all the way here, still not entirely used to that"

"Oh, I see. Do you want a glass of blood? I can get it if you want!"

"Thank you, but I can get it, no need to-"

Too late. Patton had already run towards the kitchen, Logan having to follow. Emile was in there, cleaning some dishes. Logan gave up on trying to stop the child as he picked up a bottle from the cabinet and opted to greet Emile

"Good afternoon," The young vampire smiled

"Oh, Logan!" Emile turned around, whipping his hands on a cloth to clean them dry, "Great to see you made it. Do you need anything?"

"Well, I had come to get myself a glass of blood, but someone seems to have taken care of that already-" Logan looked down, seeing how Patton was offering him a plastic blue cup, now looking more like a dark indigo or purple due to its contents, "Thank you, Patton, but you didn't need to-"

"You're welcome!" The kid smiled before putting the things away faster than what Logan could stop him. Emile chuckled

"He just likes to help," Emile shrugged, "So today there's going to be lessons?"

"No, actually- well, not at first," Logan replied, "I wanted to talk with Janus about something"

"Alright then... Patton, do you know where Uncle Janus is?" Emile asked his son

"Yes!" Patton nodded, "He's in his office, follow me!"

Patton held Logan's hand and carried him upstairs, to the third floor. It was the first door in the hallway, a tall wooden one, same style than most of the others. Patton paused in front of it before knocking, opening the door before any answer was given.

The office had tall beige walls, most of them covered by shelves. Said shelves were filled with notebooks, organized by groups which looked practically the same, altho the design changed over time. All of them were leather-bound though, with golden words on the spine. Logan could see that some of the bottom shelves, the last two and a half rows of one of the shelves, were empty, as well as another shelf void of books, which instead had some other objects like a plastic plant and a snake plushie. There were some decorative swords on the wall opposite to the mostly filled shelf... but Logan doubted there were actually decorative, instead of genuine, deadly swords. Janus was sitting on a big chair, behind a desk made of the same wood than the shelves, with a few drawers and a clean surface. In front of the desk there were two chairs, also seemingly made with the same wood than the other furniture in the room. He had a notebook in hand and a pen in the other, setting both things down when the two came in.