30

Chapter Thirty – Memories

Zander's POV

We approached our pack border; I got behind a tree and quickly shifted back to my human form. I was in a sour mood. It's already midday, how did time go by so quickly, now I'm back home, without my love by my side. "Devon, report to my office please," I mind linked, my tone sharp.

I didn't mean to take it out on my Beta. It isn't his fault that Sirena was kidnapped and taken away from me. It isn't his fault we returned empty-handed, an Alpha without its mate and a Pack without its Luna. Pitiful. I'm not but a disgrace. I couldn't do the simplest thing; protect our mate.

"Hey, you're back and sure thing Alpha," replied Devon, excited. He's in a weirdly cheerful mood, putting me off even moving. Why is he in such a good mood, anyway? "Good, we need to get to work, pronto," I replied. "We have news on Sirena," Devon interjected. "Wait, what, he better not be playing with me.

"Are you sure, you're not messing with me," I asked. Come one man. Don't you have faith in me. Besides, this is not the time for pranks. I assure you I'm not messing with you." I let out a sigh of relief. "We'll continue in the office, I'll need you to feel me in," I replied. "Roger that," Devon added. I rolled my eyes and cut off the mind link.

The tension I felt eased considerably, not realizing how on edge I was. I require a shower, at the same time I'm itching to be at her side again. "Same here, but mate will not appreciate it if we stink, now will she," replied my wolf, snarkily. "You ‌have a point." I confirmed.

. . .

Sirena's POV

The sound of birds woke me up from my slumber, this time with no nightmares or waking in weird situations. I surveyed my surroundings, last night coming back to me. It's been awhile since I've had a peaceful sleep, I thought to myself, stretching.

"Ahh, that feels good."

Knock! Knock!

A knock on the door drew my attention to the door. Knock! Knock! The door sounded again, when the person behind didn't get a response. Right, I should reply, silly me. "You can come in," I called out.

The door opened, revealing Mia, my mood changing considerably. "Mia," I gleamed. "Morning Luna, how did you sleep," replied Mia. "Wonderful, especially now you're here," I replied. "You don't mean that, Luna," replied Mia, "Of course I do and please, call me Sirena.

Calling me Luna sounds too formal, and we're friends," I replied. "If you're sure, Lu- Sirena," replied Rose, stumbling as she almost addressed me by my title. Forgive me, she apologized, slightly bowing her head. None of that either, I added, slightly weirder out. It's not like I'm not royalty or anything like that. Besides, it feels weird, especially as she's older than I am.

"If it makes you happy," she replied. "It would," I confirmed, not wanting her to feel uncomfortable or obliged to call me by my title. It's going to take us a while, but we'll eventually get used to our new roles as friends. Now, where were we? "How was your morning today, Mia," I asked? "It was good; I slept like a baby," she replied shyly.

"That's good to hear, as did I," I replied. "So, what brings you here today," I asked, curious why she's here so early. "Right, I've completely forgotten,'' she replied bewildered. "The Alpha should be arriving today," she added. "Oh, okay," I replied, unsure on how to take the news.

The Alpha, Zander, who's supposedly my mate and I have no recollection of him or our relationship, I wonder how he'll feel when he finds out I don't remember. A feeling of rejection washed over me and my mood slightly darkened.

Sensing my mood, Mia asked, "Is everything alright, Sirena." Her voice is gentle. I wasn't sure if I should unload my feelings on her, then again we are friends, so she might not mind. Aargh!!. I don't know what to do. This is all too new for me, I feel like I'm failing somewhere.

"Sirena, Sirena", came Mia's voice, pulling me from my thoughts. "Sorry about that," I apologized. "What were you saying," I replied with a timid smile. "Oh, it's nothing, just wondering if everything is OK, you look crestfallen, that's all, and I was worried, '' she replied. I gave her a real one this time, touched that she was concerned for me. "So, is everything alright," Mia repeated. I sigh. Giving in, I decided to tell her. "I'm just worried about what Zander, the Alpha would think, when he finds out that I have lost my memory and I don't have any recollection of him or our relationship,'' I replied, nervous for her reply.

Mia gave me a heart warming smile, "I'm absolutely positive that will not happen," she replied confidently. "How could you be so sure," I asked, not entirely convinced. "Remember when I told you he's your mate, and we talked about mates afterwards," she interjected.

"Yeah," I drew out, not sure where this is going. "Well, this is how I know. The bond between mates is one strong force, he'll be a little hurt, but he'll get over it and trust me when I say he won't be distraught. After all, you are his world and as long as you're there and safe, he stays by your side, 'till his last breath," she finished.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. It was really heart warming. I do hope what she said is true. I guess I just have to take her for her word. "Thanks, Mia, that does put me at ease a little," I replied. "I'm glad to be of help, Sirena," Mia beamed.