14

Chapter Fourteen

Sirena's POV

I stared at Mrs Troth blankly, unable to speak. There's more to the story, I can feel it. Composing myself, I continued. "What happened next?" I asked. "One day he came to me, saying something about finding his mate. How could we no longer be together? And how sorry he was.

I was heartbroken. I never saw him again. I assumed he would continue his life with his mate. But when I found out he was dead 3 years later I was heartbroken. I never truly got over him and I still loved him very much., Mrs Bakewell broke into tears, bawling her heart out."

I've never seen Mrs Bakewell like this before. I didn't know what to do, what to make of it. On the one hand, she hurt me and on the other, she was hurt, I didn't know what to do. Mrs Troth took a deep breath while I held mine.

"A couple of weeks went by, and I was feeling off. At first, I thought it was because I no longer had your father in my life, and it was particularly true, but I later found out I was pregnant with his child. I sent letters after letters, nothing, explaining to him about my situation, that I was pregnant in hopes he would return. Kayden always dreamed of becoming a father, not only because he wanted an heir but also because he saw himself as a father, and having children is a precious gift. So, when I found out I was expecting I was elicited but when the days turned to weeks and got no reply from him, I took it as confirmation.

I was depressed. It lasted for what felt like years, "I listened tentatively, feeling slightly sorry for her. She really looked in pain. Just the memory of it brings her back to those hard times. My father shouldn't have treated her that way. That was wrong of him. That being said, she also had no right to take it out on me.

"... it took months for me to finally get over him. When my sweet baby girl was born, the amount of love that poured over me, I knew I'd do what it took for me to make her happy. I then decided as I looked into her soft brown eyes, I accepted my faith, knowing he wasn't coming back and started working on myself.

I did it for her. I managed to pull myself together and start a new life. I raised the child on my own, she looked nothing like her father, except for his piercing green eyes."

I've met Mrs Bakewell's daughter a few times. She was awful. I furrowed my brows, connecting the dots. The results were mind-blowing. Ellie was my half-sister, it couldn't be. To say I was shocked was an understatement. I decided to confirm my suspicion.

I gulped, "Does that mean E...Stacy is my half-sister," I asked, stuttering. I wasn't sure how to take this.

"She is," Mrs Bakewell replied, fumbling with her turns. There's more, she said. There's more, seriously. Go on, I replied. I don't think I can take any more surprises.

"A year or so later he was on my doorstep, along with his mate. It was out of the blue. I wasn't expecting it..." Mrs Bakewell trailed off, seemingly lost in her thoughts, her memories. It was like she was there, but not at the same time. "His mate was heavily pregnant too. It was a shock."

"When I saw that your mother was heavily pregnant. It suddenly made sense, all of it. Well almost all of it. He found his mate and I simply drifted away." she smiled softly, glancing at Zander's, and I's entwined hands. It didn't go unnoticed. Clearing her throat, she carried on. "I got angry and might have said some hurtful words," Mrs Bakewell sheepishly said. "Might," I said pointedly.

"Okay, I said a lot of hurtful words that I didn't mean but it did its damage. Your father was enraged and would have attacked me if your mother didn't stop him. They left quickly after that. A couple of months later, Kayden was on my doorstep again, this time with a baby in his arms and no mate. I was confused as to why he was there."

"I didn't expect what he said next. The look on his face was one of absolute terror and worry. Your mother was in trouble, and he came to me because he needed to leave the baby...which was you. You see, his pack was attacked by rogues, and he needs to leave you with me for a while. It all happened so quickly, I didn't have time to protest."

I assumed he'd return for you, but he never did, he never came, and when the news of your father's death reached me I was devastated.

I am so sorry for what I did to you. I am truly, and I know this is a lot of things. I had so many questions, but the main one that was constantly running through my mind was, 'what was her name?' I so badly wanted to know, so I asked Mrs Bakewell about it. "So...um," trailing off, suddenly nervous. It was my turn to fiddle with my thumbs. "What w-was her name?"

"Her name was Ophelia."