20

Chapter Twenty

Sirena's POV

"Close your eyes."

"Why," I asked, puzzled. "I already know where you're taking me, unless you lied," I turned on my heels facing him, arms crossed. "No, promise I'm not," Zander replied, hands out in surrender, a bemused smile on his lips.

"Good," I replied. So what's with the blindfold?" I asked, not completely convinced. "Well my love, you know the location and that it's a picnic..." he trailed. What you don't know is the presentation and that would be a surprise, hence the blindfold, Zander replied, blindfold in hand.

I eyed him questionably. I eventually gave in. I swear Zander if I find myself in a ditch you're so dead. Zander just chuckled, not taking me seriously. "Really," he replied, eyebrows raised. "You best believe it," I retorted. Don't be me if you find yourself without a head, I huffed. "In that case, no funny business," said Zander. "Exactly, no funny business," I confirmed. Then surrendered to Zander, intrigued. I unwillingly did as instructed. Zander then placed the blindfold over my eye. Great, now I can't see it. "All good, Zander asked." " Define good," I replied dryly. "I take it you're not a fan," Zander chuckled. "What do you think?" I retorted.

Honestly, I am really excited about the date, I'm just not feeling the blindfolds, that's all.

Next stop, date night.

* * *

Zander better not left me in a ditch, or so help me. I'll feed him to the rogues. "Zander," I called out. Just a bit, my love, came his reply. He sounded a bit far. Where the hell did he leave me? I was getting uneasy. Zander must have sensed my unease because moments later he was behind me, hand wrapped around my shoulders.

You need to relax, nothing is going to happen. I won't let anything happen, promise, Zander assured me. I can feel myself relaxing. "Where are we?" I asked. "In the woods, he replied. "The woods," I asked. Keep in mind, I'm still blindfolded.

"How much longer, Xav," I asked. "Just a couple of steps, now...stop." We came to a halt. "Zander," I called out, again. Just a moment, baby. I could hear Zander moving around. I wonder what he's doing. "You can open your eyes now," Zander's voice called out.

* * *

It's safe to say we made it safely with no ditch insight. "You can open your eyes now" Took him long enough, I thought to myself. Slowly, I opened, not knowing what to expect. I gasped in surprise, expecting what was in front of me. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

Displayed in front of me was a blanket and a picnic basket situated in the middle of a gorgeous meadow. The dense trees surrounding the meadow, secluding the place from spring eyes. There were fairy lights strung all over the surrounding trees. Adding to the romantic feel.

I walked towards where the picnic blanket lay, speechless at the beauty, the thought, and effort put into it. I absolutely love it. Zander extended his hand, "Do you like it?" he asked, slightly nervous. "Like it," I asked, and he nodded. "I love it," I replied, beaming.

Zander sat on the blanket, taking food out. I was still in awe. I have a few of your favourites here, and I also have a couple of other things you might like to try. I know due to your situation, you hadn't had the chance to experience a lot of the wonderful food out there, Zander explained.

Hearing all of this made me happy. The fact that he was thinking of me, added to that happiness, along with the fact I got to taste a lot of new foods. I was really looking forward to it.

A Few Minutes Later

The date went wonderfully, we are currently laid on the soft lush grass, surrounded by breathtakingly beautiful nature. My head lay on Zander's lap, while he combed his fingers through my hair. I quite like it, it's surprisingly soothing. "Thank you Zander," I looked up at him, complete bliss. "For what, my love?" he asked. "For this, the date but that's not all, everything."

Just thinking about it all makes me emotional. He didn't have to, he could have left, abandoned me. He didn't, and I know he says it's because of the mate bond, and he truly wanted me. He could have rejected me at any given time, but he stood here with me, through everything. You've been here for me through it all.

"Like I said, I'll do anything to make you happy, safe, and loved. You deserve it all and more." I smiled at him, my heart warmed. The atmosphere suddenly changed, becoming more charged. As I stared into his eyes, it felt like the world around us came to a standstill as we inched closer together. I think we are going to kiss. OMG, are we going to kiss? I've never kissed a guy before. My mind was running a mile an hour.

We were mere inches from each other, and just when our lips were about to touch, there was a sudden blare of noise. Quiet at first. I wasn't sure I heard it until it came again, this time louder.

It sounded like a horn of some sort, the kind you'll use as a warning.

Zander stiffened. What's going on? I asked through the mind link. The horn went again, resonating through the woods. "Zander, what is it?" What's going on?" I asked, panicking.

"Rogues," was his only reply and in the blink of an eye, he was in Alpha mode. I noticed his eyes were glazed over, most likely mind linking with the pack.

"Oh no," I started panicking, hands over my mouth. Rogues were everywhere.

My body started heating up. What's going on, what's happening. Before I could make sense of anything, a fire like no other engulfed me. Letting out a scream. The next thing I knew, I was looking down at my paws. My eyes widened – in my mind anyway – I just freaking shifted, what the actual hell, I thought.

I looked up, met with wide eyes from the rogues. I was confused as to why they were surprised that I had shifted. Is it possible they didn't know I was human, or was it something else? The rogues growled, jolting me from my reserve.

"Now is not the time, first we defeat the rogues, then ask questions," replied a voice in my head. "Who said that? " I asked. "It's me, your wolf, there's no time for introductions, unless you want to become rogue food."

"Right, so what do I do?" I asked. "I need you to trust me, can you trust me?" my wolf asked. Something in me told me I could trust her. "I trust you," I said. With that, I gave her full control.

She quickly lunged at the wolves, solely on instinct. I didn't know what I was doing, but I trusted my wolf to protect me.