And the Hits Keep Coming

Start from the beginning

Was that what I looked like when Vincent was around? No wonder she was always gagging.

Speak of the devil, my phone vibrated in my pocket.

How is everything?

We're fine, I wrote back.

Come home soon.

Sir, yes, sir.

The bubbles indicating he was typing popped up, went away, and then popped up again. I had to bite back my smile when his reply finally came through.

I miss you. I'll be sure to show you how much once you get here.

"What'd he say?" Devyn asked, leaning across the table to try and get a peek at my screen.

I locked it and stuffed it back in my pocket before she got the chance. "None of your business."

"Well, from the look on your face I have a pretty good guess. So, I guess that means it's time to get you back."

We paid our tab and headed out the front doors. When Angelica spotted us, she stretched her arms over her head. Her back arched, making her look like a cat rousing from a nap in the sun. She was just as lithe as one as she stood and made her way over to us. Her eyes were a deep blue, slightly upturned at the outer corner in a way that made her seem like she was perpetually laughing at you. And from the little I had interacted with her, she usually was.

"Did you bring me anything?" she chirped, coming to a halt beside us. She was taller than me, which wasn't surprising. But even with her attitude, she had never once made me feel like she was talking down to me. Even in meetings. There were times she caught my confusion before Vincent did, and she'd explain whatever had tripped me up. It was one of the reasons I had agreed to have her head the team that would go with us.

"They were all out of every single thing you like, sorry," Brandon said, wrapping an arm around Devyn's shoulders.

Angelica pouted, and I shook my head before pulling out the coffee I had been hiding. Her entire face lit up as she bounced on the balls of her feet. When I handed it to her, she all but snatched it from me.

"Be careful," I scolded, catching her wrist before she could raise it to her lips. "It's hot."

"Yes, Mom," she muttered, gently taking the lid off to blow on it.

Devyn let her eyes bounce back and forth between the two of us. When her eyes settled on me, she arched her pierced brow. "Angel, this is Devyn. Devyn, this is Angel."

Angelica let a crooked grin overtake her face as she extended her hand for Devyn to shake. "Hi! Sorry, I should probably have introduced myself since we'll be seeing more of each other."

"It's nice to meet you," Devyn said, taking her hand.

"It's just nice to have another girl to break up the testosterone."

"Hey."

Angelica's eyes trailed to where Brandon's arm was still draped around Devyn, and a coy smirk played at the edges of her lips. "No offence, of course."

"I hate you. I hope you know that," Brandon told her, eyes narrowing.

"Be nice," I said, turning on my heel to head for the SUV we had borrowed for the excursion. "I don't want to listen to you two bickering like siblings all day."

They scoffed at the same time, which cause Devyn and I to burst into a laughing fit. Angelica sped up so that she was walking at my side, and she linked her arm through mine. She escorted me back to the SUV before opening the door for me. With a grin to rue the Cheshire cat, she gave me a mockingly deep bow.