"Come on, Jules. You know I care about you. I always will." Colby said and reached over to take my hand.

"It just sucks when you leave me in the dark. It feels like you don't trust me." I said and sniffled. "It's not that. It's just that the more you know the more dangerous it is." He said, focusing on the road.

"Yeah. I get it." I mumbled and looked out the window.

I hated that I was getting upset over this. Colby has been doing this job a lot longer than he's had me around. He knew how to navigate these situations but I wanted to be involved.

If I had to be subjected to this life I wanted to know everything.

I needed to know what the dangers were.

"Alexander Quill." Colby said after a couple minutes of silence. "That's who invited us." He said and kept his eyes straight ahead.

I didn't want to ask any questions because it would piss him off.

"He's the biggest name on the west coast. Bigger than me and the guys. He has us on a mission, that's why I've been so stressed." He said with a sigh.

"That's it." He said as I looked over at him. "Thanks for telling me." I said quietly.

"I wish you knew how much I care about you." He said with a sigh. "I've never let a girl in like this before. It's scary." He said with a laugh.

"You don't have to tell me every little thing but names of people won't kill me." I said and looked over at him. "Yeah. You're right." He said then brought my hand to his lips.

We drove for a little while longer before we got to a bridal shop.

There was an awkward tension in the air since our little fight though.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled and looked over at Colby. "Don't be sorry, sweetheart. We're fine. Let's get you a dress." He said then smiled reassuringly before leaning over and kissing me.

I sighed then got out of the car.

"What color are you thinking?" Colby asked and took my hand. "I have no idea. Maybe red or green since it's a Christmas ball." I said with a shrug.

"That sounds like a good idea. Let's see what they have." He said and led me towards the dresses. There was a woman who was watching us with a bitchy expression on her face.

It made sense because we looked like young people who couldn't afford the dresses we were looking at.

We walked towards the long elegant gowns that would be appropriate to wear at a ball.

I felt like a kid in a candy shop as I reached for a ruby red dress that was hanging on the rack.

"Don't touch." She snapped as I reached for one of the dresses that was hanging up. "Sorry." I mumbled and flinched away.

"Why can't she touch it?" Colby asked defensively. "Wouldn't want her to ruin it." The woman said then glared at me.

"She won't ruin it." Colby said then squeezed my hand.

"She's not allowed to touch anything she can't afford." The woman snapped.

It was that moment that I was sobered up.

No matter how many times I was treated to extravagant things from Colby, it didn't matter.

I would always be the poor girl who couldn't afford nice things.

"She can afford it because I'm paying." Colby said harshly as I let go of his hand to wipe my eye before a tear could fall.

"It's fine, Colby. We'll just go." I said quietly then turned to leave the store. "Jules. It's not fine. You're clearly upset about this." Colby said and took my hand again, stopping me from walking any further.

"Can we just go?" I whimpered, trying to keep myself together since the lady was staring at us.

"Yeah. I don't want to give this place my business anyways." He said then glared at the woman before following me out of the store.

I kept myself together until we got to the car then started to break down.

It was such a silly thing to get upset over but I think it stemmed back to the trauma that was my mother.

She would treat me the same way that lady was treating me.

"I'm gonna kick her ass." Colby said as he pulled me into his chest. "D-d-don't." I gasped, crying into his shirt.

"Shhh...you're okay." He hummed and scratched my back gently.

He let me just cry like the ridiculous person I was.

"Can we go?" I asked after a little while. "Of course. I'm sorry that happened." Colby said as I shook my head.

"It's not your fault." I said as he turned the car on. "I should have punched her." He said and angrily gripped the steering wheel.

"Violence isn't always the answer, babe." I said then sniffled. "It is when you're me." He grumbled.

"Stop." I said with a laugh. "There's that beautiful laugh." He said and started driving to the next store.

When we got to the next store we went inside. I stayed close to Colby, feeling uncomfortable and like I was going to get yelled at again.

"What about this one?" Colby asked and pulled out a long red dress. "It's pretty." I said and looked at the employees.

They were minding their business, looking up at us occasionally.

"Okay, that's a start." He said then chuckled. "I don't know anything about dresses, Jules. You gotta work with me here." He said as I just looked at the wall of dresses, not daring to touch them.

"That one." I said and pointed to an emerald green one.

It was almost like a silky texture on the bottom, but there was a lot of fabric at the skirt making it look fuller. On top was a sweetheart neckline and off the shoulder straps.

"Okay, let's maybe start with these two." He said as I nodded and grabbed them from him.

"Trying those on?" The woman by the fitting room asked as I nodded. "Good choices. Let me know if you need help getting in them." She said then opened one of the doors for me.

"I'll be right out here, babe." Colby said as I nodded and went into the changing room.

I decided to try the red one on first.

It was a floor length silk gown that clung to my body. It was gorgeous but clashed with my skin tone.

I frowned then took it off, looking at the emerald one on the hanger.

When I put it on I instantly felt like a princess since the skirt puffed out ever so slightly.

There was ivory details on the top by the bodice and little sparkles that glistened down the skirt.

It was stunning.

I wanted to show Colby but also wanted him to be surprised when the day came. I knew he was nervous about this event because of the huge name that invited him.

I couldn't help but be a little excited though.