26

"Just try your best to disassociate." Sam said as he sat next to me. "It might get graphic." He said as I pursed my lips.

I still couldn't understand why they would want to get to know me, but I guess I was about to find out.

"So a little birdie told me that Brock over there went to Seattle. Is that where you picked up this cute little thing?" Tony asked, sending a chill down my spine.

"Who is this birdie everyone speaks of?" Colby asked, completely ignoring the question about me.

"Doesn't matter. Answer the question." Tony said as Colby pursed his lips. "I don't see why it concerns you." He said as I looked down.

There was a bowl of soup in front of me but the idea of eating it made me sick to my stomach.

"Because, I like to keep my tabs on people." Tony said with a wicked grin.

"Keep a tab on this." Jake said and held up his middle finger. "Real mature, dude." Sam said and smacked his forehead.

"You guys are a joke." Edith whispered as the man who I recognized as Mr. Piper clanked his glass with a knife.

"Thank you all for attending. We've had such a successful year so far. I wanted to take just a moment of your time to announce that I will be running for a second term." He said as my eyes widened.

These people worked for the government.

They were highly respected in the community and they hired people like Colby to kill others.

I felt even more sick as I put my hand on my mouth.

Mr. Piper continued talking about the things he planned to do in the future but I couldn't be bothered to know what he was talking about.

"You okay?" Colby mumbled so quietly I could hardly hear him. "I'm gonna be sick." I whispered as he put his hand on my leg.

"Just hold it off." He said and rubbed circles on my leg with his thumb.

We listened to the rest of his speech then started to eat the dinner that was served to us.

I could hold back the urge to get sick but I didn't want to eat so I just pushed my food around my plate.

"You have a rude little thing with you, Mr. Brock." Edith said and raised her brows. "Mind your business, Edith." Colby snapped.

"Takes after you I guess." She hummed and took a bite of her roll.

I ended up eating a couple bites of food just to please Edith and get her off of my back.

Once dinner was done everyone started to mingle again.

"Do you still feel sick?" Colby asked as we walked through the dining area. "Yeah." I said as he sighed.

"I know this is overwhelming but just try to keep it together." He said as we walked up to a group of men.

"Mr. Brock. It's so nice to see you." One of them greeted as Colby wrapped his arm around me again.

Colby talked to these guys for what felt like forever before he turned to me. "I think my Ana and I are going to get some fresh air. It's warm in here." Colby said and smiled at me slightly.

"We'll talk later." One of the men said with a nod as Colby turned to lead the way outside.

"You're doing good." He said as soon as we were alone. "Thanks." I mumbled and twisted the tulle of my dress around my finger.

"I still just don't know why they wanted to meet me." I said and looked up at him. "He's strange. I don't know. Just keep up the act and he'll lose interest." He said as Sam rushed out.