Chapter Eighteen~The Truth~

Kassie's POV

I had just covered for this Son Of A Bitch, he better appreciate it. We were still at dinner, Keith rubbed his hand on my back to calm me down. "Did you have a good day, Kassie?," Karl asked me, "Oh yeah. It was okay," "Aww, I'm sorry it wasn't the best," "It's whatever." I rolled my eyes. Keith gave me a kiss on my cheek, "So, I see you two are back together," "Yup! We are," "I'm glad," "Me too." Keith commented. All of a sudden, Raymond came in the house and looked at us weirdly, "Where were you?" my mom asked him, "At work." He took off his work boots and came to sit down at the table, "Raymond, this is Mrs. Matthews, Keith's mom," "Oh! Hi, I'm Kassie's twin brother, Raymond. It's nice to meet you," "It's a pleasure meeting you too, Raymond." Raymond filled his plate with food, I stared at his shirt that was covered with grease. "So, Raymond, where do you work?" Kelly asked him, "I work at that DX station down on '33," "Ahh. I see, do you enjoy working there?" "Yeah. It's alright."

We finished dinner, I said my goodbyes to Keith and to Kelly, "I love you," "I love you too." I walked Keith outside and to his mom's car, "I'll see you later, okay?" "Yeah." He lifted my chin with his hand and he kissed me, I've been waiting for this all night, I thought to myself. He opened the car door and sat down, he closed the door and rolled down the window, "I'm sorry about earlier today," "It's in the past now." I told him. Kelly came to the car and said goodbye to me, I waved to Keith and went back inside. I was walking up the stairs when a paper fell from the top of the stairs, "Meet me, your room, now!" I read out loud then sped up the stairs to my room. I met Raymond in my room and he gave me a hug, "I heard what happened to you and Steve today," he looked at me sad, "Yeah, I just can't believe that my own stepbrother would try to break us apart," "He and Sodapop made a deal with Bob, which is like making a Deal With The Devil," "I know. Keith was distraught that his best friends would do that to him. I feel so bad for him, "Are you okay?" "Yeah. I'm fine, just shocked that they'd do that!" Raymond sat down with me on my bed, I was putting my hair up when my hair tie flew off my wrist and fell on the floor. It flew under my bed, I put my hand down to look for it when I felt something. I felt a book of some sort, it was big and it had fabric on it that felt they were in the shapes of bows. I grabbed the book and pulled it on my lap, Raymond and I both stared at it. "What is that?" Raymond asked confused, "It's my baby book." I told him gently. I opened up the book and read all the details about my birth...including my siblings. I looked at the date and it read September 9th 1948. It had been one year after I was born..why would my parents fill it out one year after I was born? I thought to myself. I kept reading the sibling information then I gasped. "WHAT?!?" I screamed out loud, "What? What is it?" "Steve...is our biological brother," "WHAT?!?!" Raymond screamed, "We share the same father!!!!" I yelled, "So then Steve, somehow ended up with Karl?" Raymond asked, "Yeah." I said trying to think about it, "How come dad never told us about him?" Raymond asked with furrowed brows, "I don't know! But we've got to go tell Steve!" "Now?" He asked confused, "YES NOW!! C'mon!" I got up and ran for the door, taking the book with me, "Hey! Wait up!!" Raymond chased after me, my mom stopped us at the end of the stairs, "Where are you going?" "Bye! Be back soon!!" We ran out the door and to my car, I started it and we were off. We were driving in the dark at Nine Thirty, "Steve is more recent than we are, so how'd dad have Steve then?" Raymond asked confused, "Do you think Affair?" I asked, "I don't know? When did mom and dad get divorced?" "They got divorced in '50." He told me. We drove to the Curtis house and jumped out. We knocked on the door and Darry answered it, "Where's Steve?" I asked him and I felt guilty for some reason, "Kassie, what's wrong?" "I'm fine, do you know where Steve is?" "I think he's down by that old bridge.." "No.." I started to whimper then ran back to my car while Raymond escorted me. I started the car and raced to the old bridge. When we got there I could see Steve sitting on the edge of the bridge, he looked at me then stood up, I began to break out into tears. He looked at me again and I covered my eyes, I couldn't watch him. I kept my eyes covered but when I felt someone tap me I uncovered my eyes. Steve was standing in front of me, "I'm really really-." He interrupted me with a giant hug, I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and cried. He hugged me back. "Steve I didn't want you to jump. I'm really sorry for screaming my whole damn lungs at you. I'm sorry for everything I've ever done to you, yelling, being rude, and worst of all, not being there for you..all of those years." I kept crying, "No. I'm sorry I went behind your back and ruined your relationship, don't be sorry for yelling at me, I deserved it." Steve hugged me tighter, we pulled apart and he wiped my tears as tiny ones slipped down his cheeks too. "But what do you mean 'all those years'?" "You'll never believe it..you're our biological brother, you always have been," "What?" "Yes, we share the same father," I said sniffling and I opened the book to show him. "H- how?" "I don't know?" Steve started to tear up again, he put his arm around our necks and pulled our heads together like a football coach would do. We all stayed like that for a couple seconds until it started raining and we pulled apart and got into my car. My car didn't have a cover since it was a no-top car so we got soaked and so did the interior. We laughed the whole way home as the rain got more dense.

Steve's POV

We sat in the car, they were laughing, I was thinking. I was so confused and mixed up. How are we even related? Why did Kassie feel so bad? What did I do? We made it home, soaked. We went inside and Renee and my dad stared at us, "Steve, I've been wondering where you were," "Oh yeah," "Mom, I have some questions," Kassie said confused, "What's wrong, sweetie?" "Why does it say that dad is the father of Steve?" "Huh? What did you say?" My mother said taking the baby book out of my hand, "Oh...my.." my mother said looking away, "You see, yes, Steve is your biological brother, your father conceived him with another woman. Your father had an affair with another woman, while we were married, obviously. I found out two years later and  that's reason why your father and I divorced," "Who took custody of Steve then?" Raymond asked confused, "Steve was sent into foster care with Karl," "So Karl raised me until I was seventeen? What about the woman you told me, that was my mother?" "I just told you that and you must've created a fake memory in your mind." "You said I was their stepbrother," "I'm sorry Steve, I had to come up with something." "My whole life's a lie." I whispered covering up my face and slightly crying again, from confusion and sadness. I really wish I'd known about that.