Chapter Ninety-Six: Return of the King

Start from the beginning

"It appears we have guests, we should go greet them," Jane stated her hand tightly holding onto her rosary before she tucked it into her sleeve; God was on her side and would guide her this night. 

Lady Seymour grabbed her daughter's arm before she could pass her, a frown deeply set on her face as she looked out the window to see the royal standard being carried into their courtyard. 

"I do hope you know what you are doing," Lady Seymour said with a shake of her head, one false move could see their entire family brought to ruin; the King would never leave Queen Anne while he had three healthy heirs from her. 

***

"Do you not think that the Lady Jane looks rather ravishing tonight, Your Majesty?" the Duke of Suffolk whispered in his friends ear, ducking closer to his old friend so that his words would not be overheard by their hosts. 

The dress that Charles had ordered be delivered to the Seymour girl was even better than he could have hoped, it suited her perfectly and she certainly stood out against her relatives dotted around the room. 

Not that the lady needed to know that, as far as Jane Seymour needed to know the dress that she was wearing had been a gift from the King who had been exchanging letters with her since he had left the country. 

"Indeed, she does," Henry stated, his eyes raking over the woman that stood at the opposite end of the dining hall wrapped up in conversation with her brother. 

Edward Seymour had been far from pleased when he had heard of their plans, pushed forward by the Duke of Suffolk, for them to rest at Wulfhall for the night before they continued on their journey to meet with the court. 

Queen Anne would surely understand that the weather had delayed their return, Charles had insisted, afterall the snow only seemed to get heavier the closer they got to London. 

"Have her sent to my chambers tonight," Henry ordered turning to look at Charles, his oldest friend would certainly help him with this conquest and he had been looking forward to bedding the woman who was his wife's complete opposite. 

Her letters had stoked his desires, she would not lead him on a merry chase as his wife had done when he had persuade her and she would take whatever he was willing to give to her. 

Her modesty was intoxicating, how she refused his gifts when he could offer her anything that she desired; he longed to consume her, to take the innocent flower that she was and taint it so the world would know what he had done. 

"Of course, Your Majesty," Charles replied with a pat on his shoulder, he straightened up and looked towards Nicolas Carew before he left the side of the King and made his way over to him. 

Tonight, would see the Boleyn harlot shamed just as she had done to Catherine, Carew had ensured to instruct Jane in all the ways that Anne had succeeded to seduce the King and now she would do the same.

Their plan was set, the only downside was the news that Catherine had passed before she could see her plans come to reality; they could only hope that their actions in her name would be enough to ensure the future that she had only dreamt of. 

"The King wishes to have Lady Jane in his chambers tonight," Charles told Carew quietly as he took a sip of his ale, his eyes looking over at Henry before he turned his attention to Jane. 

His wife would be surely pleased with the news that they had taken the Boleyn harlot down a peg, she had been a strong supporter of Catherine who her mother had served loyally for years. 

"I am sure that the lady would be more than happy to visit him, she believes herself in love with the King," Carew noted rather amused with a shake of his head as he watched Jane from across the room.