33 - The Big Brother Toad

The afternoon is going well, we are laughing, playing some games, and for the first time Michael and Charlie are actually losing

The afternoon is going well, we are laughing, playing some games, and for the first time Michael and Charlie are actually losing. Much to Kate's delight. She kept a close eye on her older brother, tracing his every move, forcing him to put his hands on the table at any time. Seeing them bicker is probably the most fun thing I've seen in a while. I even enjoy Sonja's presence. Shockingly, she is a great addition to the group, giving everyone the same number of snarky comments and a shitty attitude. From time to time when Kate is being particularly clingy Sonja even gives me a sweet and knowing smile. I might really start liking her, who would have thought?

We decide on a second movie, one, that unfortunately is in Charlie's possession which means, at the palace. Sonja, Kate, and Charlie volunteer to go and get it, taking Charlie's new car because why wouldn't he have a new one every six months? I stay behind to refill the snacks and clean up the mess we already made, and so does Michael.

I throw away the five cans my beta emptied while we were watching the movie. I don't particularly like it when people are drinking too much. It usually doesn't bring forward the best character traits in them and Michael is no exception.

"How about we ditch the kids, leave early, and spend some time alone?" His suggestion flows heavily through the room and I can feel his broad bulky hands on my hips, and I smell the beer in his breath.

"Don't go there, Michael," I say, giving him a stern look and I casually walk away, shrugging his palm off while heading to the fridge.

"Why not?"

He follows me and I roll my shoulders to release the rising tension. I am vexed by the footsteps behind me they sound as whiny as his voice. "Because I say so."

"We look good together and even your mother likes me."

I dodge his stretched-out arm again while I turn, giving him the most irritated look I can come up with since 'stern' has apparently shown no effect. "Do you really think the 'your mother'-card is appropriate for what you are suggesting?"

"Maybe, maybe not." He flashes his teeth in a grin that he seems to think is irresistible.

It's not.

I roll my eyes but instead of an answer I open the fridge, take out a can of coke and press it against my forehead for a second. The cool metal soothes the nascent headache. I place the drink on the near counter as I speak "Look, Michael, you are like a brother-"

"Oh come on Ann, don't play the 'we are family'-card," he says, signing quotation marks in the air.

"But you are like a brother!" I can hear my voice getting more and more strained, "I am not playing any card here, it's just a fact. And besides, you are my beta."

"All the more reason," he shouts full of excitement, clearly showing how not sober he is just now "I am perfect for you!"

I groan out loud. "Michael."