19 - Training: Part I

"You are kidding, right?" Did she just say training? There is no way

"Do I look like I am?"

I take extensive time to study her face, looking for signs of a smirk, possibly a little twinkle in her eye. But there is nothing, absolutely nothing. My last hopes fade with each passing second and certainty wraps around my chest like a hug that's a little too tight.

"Oh... hell NO!"

"Excuse me?" She says in a calm voice, playfully raising an eyebrow at me.

"Why would I do that?" Like seriously? I am not a rule-breaker, not a daredevil, I couldn't even cheat on an exam if I wanted to.

Do I think it's stupid that I'm being excluded? Yes.

Do I find it old-fashioned and unnecessarily tradition-bound? Yes.

Would I ever raise my voice about it and do something to change it? No.

"Because I can't always be there to protect you and because we're already here. So, let's not waste time."

"But-"

"And because I ask you to." Her eyes meet mine, and I can see the plea, I can feel it, but I am not ready to give in to it, not yet.

"Actually," I put as much emphasis as possible into the first word, "you didn't ask me, you decided and presented me with a fait accompli."

"So...," she begins, as her teeth flash briefly in a playfully devilish smile as she steps closer to me, "you want me to beg?"

It's only now that I notice that Ann has been wearing sports clothes all along. How could I miss the fact that she squeezed herself into those breathtakingly tight yoga pants?

My breath, not hers.

She seems to enjoy herself, leaving me a stammering mess as she brushes past me.

"Today I'll just teach you some basics and-"

"Wait a minute! Today?" I ask, my voice perhaps a little too high as I spin around to follow her. Did she just really imply I have to do that again, after... this time?

"Yes, I think she did just that," Delta seems to really feel like talking, "Now don't get all whiny, we don't want her to see you for the wimp you are, it will be fun!"

"You do know whom you are talking to, right?" I snap at my pup, constantly talking is one thing but insulting? "We don't do sports, remember?"

To be fair, compared to humans my physical condition would be considered exceptionally good but if I had to compete against another wolf, I'd probably fail and lose in a matter of seconds.

I partly blame it on the rules that deny me from participating in pack training, partly on the fact that I can't just tap into Deltas strength because we haven't transformed yet and a tiny wee bit, I blame it on me. I am clumsy and can hurt myself when I try to get out of bed.