32 - Game night

I drum my fingernails relentlessly on the kitchen table

"Oh, would you please stop that?" Mom groans annoyed.

"I would if they finally came!"

"Why are you so nervous? You know they will come, why wouldn't they?"

She has a point there. Why am I nervous? We've been doing this little game night ever since we moved here. Every year, two days before Christmas Michael, Charlie, Ann and I would sit in our living room, playing games, talking, laughing, and eating pizza. Sometimes we stayed up until the sun rose, watching stupid movies or music videos, recreating scenes, singing along, and discussing how dumb the characters were.

Every year.

But this time, this year, it's different. The past few months have been different. At first, I was afraid our parents wouldn't allow it, then that Ann and I wouldn't make it out of the hospital in time. But we did and still... Maybe it's all the bad that had happened. Maybe I am anxious because I fear someone will try to take this away from me too, just like they almost took her from me.

I get up, pacing through the kitchen again until Mom shoos me out. So, I check on the snacks in the living room for the fifth time until I hear a car door slam shut. I dart for the door, jumping over the sofa and I yank it open. Familiar hair and surprised eyes greet me, and my smile starts to crumble, slowly falling apart.

"Hey," he says with the usual crooked smile he loves to give me, "I'm not too late, am I?"

I blink at him, still disappointed but I try to mask it with a nonchalant "No, Mom is still cooking."

"Good," he pushes past me, kicking his shoes off and heading for the kitchen, "I wouldn't wanna miss it for the world."

"That's so sweet of you to say!" Mom beams at him.

I fake-gag, making sure he sees it but all I get is a wink. "Is Michael in his room?" He asks, not waiting for an answer, disappearing on the little stairwell down to stink-cave.

"May I enter too?" Ann's voice is soft and playful, her cheeks are flushed from the cold, her hands buried deep in the pockets of her jacket, and her shoes are covered with more than one layer of snow. I nearly jump out of my skin.

"Oh, sorry!" She laughs, "I didn't mean to startle you."

"Sure? You look quite pleased."

She pushes past me with a grin, just as Charlie did before but she takes the opportunity to squeeze my hand briefly. My heart skips a beat and my stomach flutters. I watch as she kneels to untie her shoes and neatly puts them away. I take a step, and then another, and when she stands up, I'm so close that her breath brushes my face.

She looks at me surprised but still smirking, a whisper on her lips "Hey..."

Without thinking any further, I take the last step, closing in on her and she stumbles backward. We sink into the pile of jackets hanging in the wardrobe. I reach for her, cupping her face and my eyes close before our lips meet because I know I'm about to drown in her oceans otherwise. Those damn beautiful blue eyes. I don't need to see her to know I've caught her off guard. She parts her lips, probably to protest, but instead, I teasingly stroke her lower lip with my tongue.