22 - The Lady Knight

„BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!" She yells into my ear as she links her arm into mine with way too much vigor, almost tripping us over

"Stop yelling, I'm not deaf," but I probably will be if she doesn't stop talking like this, "I told you not to get too close to the speakers."

"Sorry," she laughs, still way too loud. I just chuckle and tug her closer to me, letting her euphoria wash over me.

I've been secretly observing her the whole concert; I just couldn't help it and simply couldn't tear my eyes away from her. How she has swayed to the music, jumped around with the others, shrieked, and sang along at the top of her lungs. I watched in awe how the sweat made her skin glisten in the spotlights and how her eyes sparkled with joy. And not even once did the wide grin on her face waver.

Now it's time to return home, so I lead the way and we walk through the still bustling nightlife streets, past brightly lit shop windows, long queues outside of clubs, and food stalls.

"I don't want to go home yet; can we maybe stay here a little longer?"

A sigh escapes my throat, it's not as if I'd like to go back. "You know we can't, we should be back by tomorrow morning and the drive alone will take six hours."

"But it's only 11," she pouts, "maybe just a little bit longer?"

Another sigh. "You sure your name is Kate? Because I could swear it's trouble."

In response, she just laughs and halts her steps, twirling me around slightly and pulling me toward her until we're nose to nose.

"Don't be such a party pooper, Princess," she whispers against my lips. Her face is illuminated by the pink light of the neon sign above us and I know that I've lost this battle.

"What's in it for me?" I ask, a cheeky grin plastered on my face. I wait patiently for her to answer my question and silence starts to envelop us.

She doesn't say a word, but I see her eyes flicker from mine to my lips, and that's all the answer I need. My heart is pounding like mad as I lean in to steal another kiss from her.

But the fricking door behind me swings open and the metal handle crashes against the wall with a deafening bang, making us wince.

A group of giggling and obviously drunk girls come out and we make room for them, otherwise, they would have probably just run us over.

Great, just great.

I grit my teeth in frustration but say nothing and follow Kate's glance. She cranes her neck just now to catch a glimpse of the inside.

"Oh, it's a bar," she says and just walks in, pulling me with her.

I tag along but not without first glancing at the sign above the door.

"The Lady Knight."

My brows shoot up in surprise and I quickly turn to look at the girls who just stumbled out. Flannel, I see a lot of flannel.