Chapter 19: It Is A Wise Father That Knows His Own Child

Chapter Nineteen: It Is a Wise Father That Knows His Own Child

"Timmy!! You should totally sit with us at lunch! Come on! We're all one big family now!!"

Kimmie's strident, cheerful voice could carry across a football field. If there was a competition between the red head and Harrison, it wasn't clear who would be the loudest.

The guitarist paused, walking alone down the hallway, his eyes skating across the group, landing on Dane, who immediately looked away and stared intensely at his own sandwich. Jasper and Matt waved him over, and he slowly, reluctantly joined the big group of friends, his lunch in one hand, his guitar case, as always, slung over his shoulder.

Kimmie patted a spot beside herself, smiling up at him. She certainly wasn't shy, even though he'd only just met her. As he was about to sit down, she put up her hand, dramatically aghast.

"No! Oh my god! No! You should sit with Dane! You guys should work on your romantic chemistry!! That's what all good actors do, to get ready for working together. Go sit with him! Dane! Timmy's going to sit with you! And you guys should hold hands, too!!"

"Come on, babe. Simmer down. It's not practice right now." Her boyfriend, Dwight, sat with the other jocks on the bench. He tried to give her a subtle, not so subtle signal to knock it off, gesturing slightly towards Jeff, who was staring coldly at the interloper.

"Oh come on, yourself! Jeff's not a baby! He knows it's just for the play!! We all know that Dane is head over heels for Jeff, and that their hate me/love me banter is just a cover for their ooey gooey feelings for each other."

Jeff smirked at her characterization of their relationship, and shrugged, continued eating, happy to see his boyfriend uncomfortably blushing and not denying anything Kimmie said.

Timmy paused, waiting for all of this back and forth to die down, then sat down gingerly next to Dane. Alyisha looked at both her best friend and the guitarist. In just one glance, she knew something was up. Dane was staring at his food like it was the most fascinating thing on the planet, and Timmy rubbed his hands on his knees several times, his blue green eyes flicking to Dane then back down at the ground. She didn't say anything, though, continued her conversation with Ted and Riley, giving suggestions for the mechanics of the set design. Dane was definitely going through a lot right now, and she would just be ready to listen if he chose to share it with her.

"I'm serious." Kimmie slapped her hand down on the concrete. "It really will help you guys for the show if you hold hands. Your relationship on stage needs to look real, and it will help if you're totally comfortable off stage with each other."

Matt sat with his back against his boyfriend's tall knees. These last few days, the partners were more demonstrative, thanks to how close they almost came to losing each other.

"She is right," the director said blandly. "It would develop your bond on stage if you guys hung out more and spent some time together."

"Just as friends," Kimmie added, smiling brightly at Jeff who scowled and turned back to Jaden.

Timmy nodded, saying nothing. Normally he was known for his relaxed happy go lucky smile and unbothered attitude at school. But being so close to Dane was like everything was charged with static electricity.

"Have you guys had a chance to think more about what songs we should use?" Jasper asked practically, turning the conversation away from romance.

Here Timmy and Dane actually looked at each other.