A Friend Should Bear His Friend's Infirmities

Chapter Sixteen: A Friend Should Bear His Friend's Infirmities

Dane swallowed awkwardly, then his eyes burst into tears and his mouth was on fire.

Jeff laughed and laughed, slapping the dark wooden table with his good hand, rocking so far back in his seat that he almost tipped over.

"Oh my god! How can you have never eaten sushi before??!! I thought you were Mr. Kitchen Wizard?" The basketball player said, wiping the tears of laughter from his eyes and passing Dane his own glass of water, as his boyfriend continued to struggle after draining his own cup.

"What the hell was that??" Dane gasped, wondering if his sinuses would ever be the same again.

"It's called wasabi. You're only supposed to put a tiny bit in your soy sauce, not smear the whole thing on one piece."

"I didn't know. Why didn't you say anything?" Dane looked around the small restaurant, mortified that anyone might have seen his display of both ignorance and drama. Thankfully there were only a few other customers. Sushi was not a preferred cuisine of choice in rural Shasta.

"I honestly just thought you liked it that way, Daredevil Dane. I would have stopped you. Maybe." Jeff continued to snort. "If it's any consolation, Mason did the same thing to me when I first had sushi. He told me it was basil mayonnaise or something."

"Is that why you like sushi? Mason?" Dane finally pulled himself together, wiping his face with a damp napkin, but continued to look suspiciously at the rolls in front of him. Rice and fish wrapped in dark green seaweed. He'd watched quite a few Japanese and Korean shows. But he'd never felt brave enough to venture to their town's one sushi place.

He and Jamie talked about it. Jamie and Noah had sushi a lot at their houses for dinner or lunch, but their parents were adventurous eaters. Harrison said he'd even made it a few times with Joey's family. But Dane was more hesitant to try new foods. His parents raised him on a steady if boring diet of traditional American food. A regular dinner was pork chops, mashed potatoes, salad and ice cream for dessert.

"Yeah. He asked to go out for sushi for his, I can't remember, tenth birthday? I was like, I guess, eight. I couldn't get enough. My brother loves trying new things, especially food. Most of his texts, since he and Lane moved to Seattle, are about the different places they eat at. Did Lane text you about that tapas place they went to for their anniversary last week? Jeez, I got so many pictures! Like every plate from three different angles! And you'd think he'd know I could freaking care less what wine..."

Jeff drifted off, seeing the dumbfounded expression on his boyfriend's face.

"Doesn't...doesn't Lane tell you that stuff?"

Dane tried to smile, but failed. "No. Some stuff about basketball practice. I told you, I thought. Dane never talked to me about Mason. Or being gay or anything. As far as he's concerned, I still believe Mason is his best friend. So you know, he wouldn't tell me about their....anniversary."

"Oh." Jeff bit his lip, hesitated, took a breath, and then took a bite. "Well, Mason didn't actually say "anniversary." He just said it was a special dinner, so I just kind of...assumed. This is around the time when they first met."

Dane peered at him suspiciously. Then shrugged.

"Aren't you supposed to use chopsticks to eat sushi?" Dane said gruffly, trying to change the subject. It hurt. That Lane didn't trust his brother. It seemed like Mason didn't have the same fears about Jeff.

"Naw, it's traditionally a finger food. Like I could use chopsticks with this freaking cast." Jeff gave Dane a serious look. "He's never actually legit come out to me, Dane. He just talks about the times he and Lane go out, and the food mostly. But he's never actually told me that he and your brother are together. I think he knows I know, but he's never actually said the words, Dane."