"I was small, people thought I was premature for the first couple of weeks. They'd ask my mom why I wasn't in the hospital." She says, leaning forward to fix his blanket, she winces slightly before resting her chin back on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" I ask, resting my head on top of hers.

"Yeah." She says, letting out a deep breath.

"How big would you say our baby is now?" I ask as she chuckles.

"Still the size of a pumpkin."

"That's the last time I'm gonna be asking that for awhile." I say as she slightly frowns.

"I mean... you could still ask, if you wanted." She says smiling cheekily.

"If that's what you want-"

I'm interrupted by a soft knock on the door, "You can come in." I say before the door swings open and in walks Chris, Jake, and Evan.

"How was practice?" I ask knowing damn well what it was like.

"Literal Hell. As usual." Jake says quietly.

Evan walks up, handing me a blue envelope. "It's from the team." He says as I nod my head.

Sliding my finger across it, it rips open as I pull out a white card with the Miami Mavericks logo on it. Opening it up there's a big "Congratulations!" along with signatures from everyone on the team, the team manager, the sports therapists, Tom- my favorite janitor, Coach's assistant, our two assistant coaches, and Coach himself.

"It was Coach's idea, apparently." Chris says quietly, staring down at Asher.

"That's odd." I place my hand back in the bassinet when Asher starts to stir. He wraps his tiny hand around my finger again and immediately settles.

"When do you get to go home?" Evan asks, leaning against the window sill.

"The nurse went to go get the discharge papers like an hour ago so, anytime now." Evelyn says, sighing with her eyes closed.

"Hopefully soon."

✳︎

Making sure the buckle was fastened, correctly and safely, across Asher's chest for the 7th time, I finally, gently, shut the car door before making my way around to the driver side.

Hopping in, I look behind me, "He's okay, Greyson." Evelyn says, resting her hand on my arm.

"How did you even see me? Your eyes are closed."

"I have those special mom powers now. I just know everything." She says, a smile spreading across her lips as she opens one eye. "Now, shut up and drive. I want to go home." Without any other words I put the car in drive and peel out of the parking lot.

The drive is silent, the baby is asleep and Evelyn pretty much is, or so I thought before she speaks up, "Can we stop by Chipotle." A soft chuckle escapes my lips, both my hands gripping the wheel. "I want a quesadilla."

"Yeah baby, that's fine." I say, turning my turn signal on. She reaches over and grabs my right hand, placing it on her thigh.

"You don't need to drive with both hands on the wheel just because there is a newborn baby in the backseat now. You're stressing me out a little." She says chuckling under her breath.

"Sorry, I'm nervous."

"Don't be. You're a perfectly safe driver, I'm not worried." She says as my hand relaxes against the inside of her thigh. Even through my sweatpants that she's wearing I can feel the warmth of her skin.