24. Love is More Than A Four Letter Word

Start from the beginning

"You'll be able to help soon, I promise." I swear it's like the man can read my mind. He gives us both a smile before wrapping his arm around Gracie and they walk out.

Evelyn sighs, shifting to lay on her side facing me. Her grip on my hand loosening just a bit. "I feel bad everyone showed up before the baby did." She says as I place my free hand on the side of her stomach.

"That's how it goes no matter how fast or slow you're progressing." I say, rubbing the back of her hand with my thumb, "He'll be here soon."

"You'd think he'd want to be out already. I mean, I'm almost a week past my due date." She says softly chuckling, but the look in her eyes tell a different story.

"Are you in any pain?" She shakes her head no. They tried to get her on some Pitocin about an hour ago, which she fully protested to. She was heart set on not doing any of that, unless she absolutely had to, which wasn't looking to good for her right now.

"Okay." I lean forward, kissing her forehead.

We hear a knock on the door followed by Doctor York stepping in. "Hey guys. How are we doing?"

Evelyn sighs, readjusting so she's sitting up a little, "I've been better."

"I'm going to go ahead and see where we're at." Doctor York says, slipping on a pair of gloves.

After a couple of minutes we hear a sigh escape her lips, "Alright Evelyn, we have two options. We can go ahead and prep you for a C-section, or we can try Pitocin."

"But-"

"Ev..." My hand squeezes her's. "Can we have a minute to discuss it?" I ask as Doctor York nods, "Of course." She says before slipping out of the room.

Evelyn looks at me, "I know." I say, my hand cupping her cheek. "What do you want to do?"

I didn't care what she decided as long as her and the baby were safe. It's her body that's dealing with all of this, the least I could do was leave the decision up to her... To an extent.

"I don't want Pitocin. It could put the baby in distress and we'd run the risk of birth injury." She says as I nod my head.

"You'd rather have a C-section than Pitocin?" I ask, wanting her to be sure.

"Unfortunately, yes." She says, sighing as she leans her head against the pillow. "I just want him out."

"Okay baby." I stand up and walk over to the door. Poking my head out I see Doctor York standing at on of the desks, she spots me and starts to walk over. "She's decided on a C-section." I say as she nods.

"Okay, I'll send some nurses in and someone will come get you to scrub in shortly." She says as I thank her and walk back towards Evelyn.

"Are you nervous?" She asks me as I chuckle.

"You're the one about to be cut open,  I should be asking you that." I say as she smiles softly at me. "I love you. More than you know." My rough palm rests against her cheek as she leans into it.

"It's more than just a four letter word." She says quietly as I lean down, kissing her lips softy before pulling away.

"You're the strongest woman I've ever met." I say as she lets out a mix of something between a content sigh and a small chuckle.

"I'd lose my mind without you here." She says before we're interrupted by a knock on the door and a couple of nurses come in followed by Doctor York, with another hospital bed. Running a hand through her brown curly hair I kiss the top of her head, before she's transferred to the other bed and suddenly, I'm left alone in the room with another nurse.