⋆ Chapter 12 ⋆

XII. • °

I spent the rest of my weekend caring for my dad, nursing his black eyes. His head was already taken care of thanks to Mark but the black eyes were still very bad. I still insisted on him to go to the hospital but it was the same old-same old.

Since I was so worried about him and his injuries, I had completely forgotten about asking how he ended up like this and he didn't mention it either.

But today was now Monday and I had given him time to tell me what was going on and he didn't so now it was time for me to ask him myself.

I got out of bed early and showered. Leaving enough time for me to talk to my dad before going to school.

When I reached the living room Mark was there alongside my dad reading the newspaper.

"Good morning," I say to both of them.

"Good morning," They say back in sync.

"How are you feeling Dad?" I ask grabbing a mug out of the pantry and filling it with orange juice.

"A lot better, I'm ready to go back to work today," he says taking a bite of his pancake.

"Dad seriously? Your eyes are still very swollen, you want to go to work looking like that? " I say turning to him setting my mug down on the kitchen counter.

"I'm still breathing, aren't I? It means I can still work."

I take a deep breath in and let it out, "Can I talk to you at least?"

"I knew it was coming." He chuckled.

I looked at Mark who was so caught up reading the newspaper that he didn't even see me staring at him, "Mark? Can me and my dad have a minute?"

He looked over at me then back at my dad giving him a look before leaving the room and heading out the front door.

"Okay, why is he still here?" I asked sitting next to my dad on the couch.

"He's going to be staying here for a while," he says taking another bite of his soggy pancake.

"What? Why? And where is he going to sleep? We have no room..."

"He needs somewhere to stay Josie, since when are we not up for human decency? And he will sleep here on the couch, there will be room."

"I just...really don't like him."

"You're only saying that because of what happened last weekend." He grabs his plate taking it to the kitchen.

That was part of it, but not all.

"Speaking of last weekend. Are you ready to have a conversation about that?" I got up and walked over to the kitchen sitting on a stool.

"Yeah sure...uhh job gone wrong...angry customer...bad results." He says pointing back at his face.

"And...what went wrong? I mean it was that serious that they had to do that to you?"

"Things happen kiddo, it was all a misunderstanding-"

"What was that note?" I ask looking up at him.

"What note?" His eyes wandered until the realization set on his face.

"You're lying to me Dad...and I really wish you wouldn't. We're supposed to be on the same team, we have been on the same team until you decided to keep things from me. And then you come in here...looking like that-"

"Josie...I do jobs, quick and easy jobs to help bring money into the house so we can eat, and have somewhere to stay. I want you to keep your money, be a teenager, go out and live instead of taking care of me," He struggled to say as his voice quivered. "I'm doing what I should be, as your dad, and as your parent. Since I've started this job...have you noticed that I haven't been drinking? I'm doing better."

A Thousand Times EnoughOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara