Chapter 43: Bloom After Gloom

Start from the beginning

"Was he wearing eyeglasses?" Kyou asked.

"Nope. He never wore one that day." His ability was already controlled then. "Zack said that he could read my thoughts."

"T-That early?!" I yelled and instantly covered my mouth. "I apologize. He just reminds me of someone... Telling his secret so early..." I glanced at Kyou then he smiled.

"Oh! It's because he saw my future. So, he trusted me."

"Future?!"

"Ah, he never told anyone except me... only because he said that I should visit his grave on this day to meet his children. So I thought Ms. Myle was also his daughter. It seems like he treated you already as his daughter-in-law." He chuckled.

"That's true..." Kyou reacted.

"Oh, well. Can you see the future too, Mr. Kyou?"

"Hm... My dad's probably a special one."

"I see, I see."

"I've heard it before. Each mindreader has a unique ability. I haven't awakened yet."

"Awakening..." Mr. Claude was suddenly in deep thoughts until he opened his mouth. "AH! Your dad told me to tell you that he controlled his ability because of your mother."

"... Pardon?"

"If you achieved that, you might awaken."

"Sorry, I didn't quite catch that..."

"Your dad said—" He halted when we heard a vibration. "Please excuse me."

He picked up a call.
"Hello? ... 'Tis my day off! ... No, no, no. I'm busy right now! ... My goodness. All right, all right. Wait for me there."

The call was ended.

"It seems like... we'll continue this some other time. I apologize... See you when I see you, Ms. Myle, Mr. Kyou!"

Left under the tree, I and Kyou stayed for a while to feel the breeze. Since different events came one after another, fresh air like this was what we needed.

"Miss Arjera... Let's visit Mom again."

Kyou had the expression he wore earlier... I wanted him to rest even just for today but I had no choice but to nod. He finally met his mother after all these years so I should continue to support him.

When we arrived at Mrs. Zeyern's hospital room, she was asleep again. So I suggested, "shall we rest at the park nearby?"

He nodded. "We might wake Mom. Let's go..."

His energy seemed drained... His eyes were about to close and his body was swaying. I pulled his head for it to lean on my shoulder. After a few seconds, he shut his eyes, falling asleep.

"Please rest well..." I placed my lips on the top of his head.

"Miss Arjera, please buy me a bottle of water..." H-He's still awake.

I don't want to leave him alone at this moment but... he's thirsty.

"It's alright... I will stay here."

If only for a minute then...

"... I'll be back right away!" I ran as soon as I said that.

Reaching the cafeteria, there were no people in line so I bought the water bottle much earlier.

My palms were wet from the moisture of the bottle... It's cold... Even tears were already on my hands... with Kyou on my mind...

I wanted him to smile... Not a cold one, not the forced one... I wanted the usual irritating, gentle, and smile that almost looked like a laugh...