Chapter 39: Mind Games

Kyou's POV

"I'm back, Mr. Kyou!"

"A-ah... yeah..." I replied.

The corner of my lips felt heavy as I forced a smile in front of this man. Before he came back, I wore my eyeglasses, closed the door, and went back to my seat. It's confusing... He wanted to help. No lies were told so far... but why? Why did he, as a master of Rinsels, help me? Help my dad before?

"Are ya still there?" Back to my senses, he kept waving his hand in front of my face.

"Sorry... It's just... scary, thinking about blindness..."

"Hm... Is that so? Don't worry. I won't let that happen."

"..." I couldn't say thanks. Rather, it's against my will to let him receive those words.

Until I learn his true intentions, knowing how to act with him would be tough. For now.., I should keep my poker face.

"Dr. Rin, let's move to the second solution. How can I control my ability?"

"Take it easy, Mr. Kyou."

"How can I take it easy?!" Nice acting, me. "It's my eyes at risk here!"

"Okay, so... what I mean is for you to find out the first solution before I tell you the second one because they're connected."

"Oh..."

He looked straight into my eyes.
"Did you figure it out already?"

Staring at the ceiling, I scratched the back of my head. I, then, answered, "I still can't."

Act like you're thinking, Kyou. Act like you're thinking. In this battle, if he found out that you already knew who he was, who knows what might happen?

"What if... I try reading your mind, Dr. Rin?" I faked a smile.

He stiffened shortly, enough for me to notice. It was followed by his smile... that may be also fake.
"Don't try it right now. You might overload with my thoughts."

"Just a piece of your memory."

"No! I-I'm a doctor. Medical things are on my mind right now. You can't handle it."

"Hm..." Pretty defensive. "Is that so?"

"Yes!"

"Then... I'll try it outside. If I figure something out, I shall come back."

I stood up and he also did.

"Sure... Go ahead..." There was a slight tremble in his voice.

Walking out of the room, I finally had a breath of fresh air. The tension the whole time was too much for me to handle. I wanted to glare at him so much but... anyways, my poker face was probably successful.

So... for my next destination...

LA LA la la LA LA~

That was... someone's ringtone. I don't have a phone anymore; therefore, yes, it was Dad Arjera's.

So, I answered the call.

"Yoohoo~! Kyou!" This voice...

"... Miss Arjera!"

"Waaa! My family left me alone. How cruel!"

"They went to the company, right? You're not allowed there, of course."

"Ehhh..."

"Do you want me to stay with you there? I also need to return your dad's phone so it's great timing."