Chapter 36: Best Friends

It's been months since Sir Zack introduced Kyle to Zeyern Family. He went along with this "best friend" thingy even though he was still not given a clear reason.

Still, Kyle figured out something: the one that Sir Zack wanted to introduce was not his family but his son, Kyou Zeyern. He's also reiterating that his son and Kyle's daughter would get along.

What did he want, really? Perhaps . . . ARRANGED MARRIAGE?!

"Sir Zack, you won't do that to our child, won't you? Hahaha..."

"What nonsense are you spouting? And, hey! I told you to just call me Zack!" He frowned.

"Er... Yes, yes..."

After a few moments, a knock from the door stopped their conversation. 

Kyou Zeyern rushed to the door as soon as his mother opened it. "Uncle Yo!!!"

His Uncle Yo lifted him through the air.
"Oh my, little Kyou. How are you?"

"Good!"

He was usually quiet at first but this child had become lively. Before, his Uncle Yo would act very hurt whenever Kyou ignored him. Sometimes, Kyou would hide from him so his uncle tried faking tears.

Just thinking about it, ha... This manipulative dude-- controlling the conscience of his little nephew. 

His Uncle Yo finally put him down. The smile he had for a minute faded as he looked at Zack. They had a cold atmosphere, talking about something that Kyle wouldn't dare to listen to nor butt in. He doesn't have the position to do so.

Kyle sighed. This is also why I wouldn't dare to call myself 'his best friend'. 

He turned to the little kiddo, down beside him, who was pulling the end of his long sleeve.
"Will you come again tomorrow..?"

... Those puppy eyes! It reminds him of his kids, so cute!

But... before answering, he glanced at Zack and Yo who still looked like having a deep conversation.

"I will," he replied.

Months later, he realized... that he shouldn't have said that.

The ray of the sun passed through the window, directly hitting Kyle. Good thing 'coz it forced him to get off his bed. He's now cursing the gravity for pulling him down the bed.

"Woah. Seriously?! Do you think he fought with the boss?" gossiped another tenant next door.

Kyle opened the door, interrupting their conversation. "Who fought with whom?"

"Oh, Kyle, good morning."

"Good morning... What happened..?"

"Uh... Sir Zack, our boss's son, went missing. You're pretty close with him, right? Do you happen to know something..?"

He froze. His mind somehow stopped working. What should he reply?

"... I know nothing."

"Aw. I thought you're best friends or something--"

"Just shut up." Kyle entered back his room, slamming the door.

He prepared himself for his work. No... Actually, not work. He had a different destination in mind: Zeyern Family's house.

Best friend, my foot.

In front of that house, he was surrounded by silence. Leaves carried by the wind passed through him as he just stood there.