Chapter 14: Fate of a Zeyern

"Mom, am I not allowed to love anymore?" the child asked, crawling towards his mother.

She patted his head then answered, "Oh my~ I believe my son is still too young to be curious in relationships... Do you have someone in mind?"

"None... But if I have, it might be dangerous if she knows my abilities, right?"

"Then, will you give up and be alone forever?" she asked. "Tell the truth if you want that person to trust you. Someday, she'll stay by your side... until the end."

"Is that true..?"

As he showed his puppy eyes, his mom averted her gaze. She couldn't take her son's cuteness.

"Who knows? I'm just speaking from experience.., Kyou."

A warm and gentle smile from a parent made him strong despite his fate. His mother, on the other hand, learned something important. Even if they live with a curse, everyone should know happiness, sadness, anger, and different emotions, including love.

«A Few Months Ago»

Mind-reading: the power of Zeyerns that had been passed to males through generations...

As that information leaked, people continued to ask for their help. Some also used them for evil deeds. As a result, the ability wielder had to hide for their safety. Overusing it could take away their eyesight so eyeglasses were invented.

"...And that's the Legend of Eyeglasses! Interesting, right?" In his glasses reflected his two lovely kids.

"Woah... Our family's a legend!" the 2-year-old Kyou's eyes sparkled.

His sister slammed the table. "We're being deceived, Kyou. Look, Dad is holding Mom's manuscript!"

"Ayuri, our glass table!"

Their eyes widened as they expected an endless scolding. Especially that her slam left a scratch.

"Eek! I'm sorry, Mom!" she knelt and bowed begging for forgiveness.

Their mom, Yuri Zeyern, asked her daughter to lift her head after realizing her family's reaction. To calm things down, she explained the manuscript to Ayuri.

She didn't want to release 'The Legend of Eyeglasses' for it was non-fiction. Yes, based on their experiences. As time went on, she decided to treat it as a diary.

"Story as a diary..." After thinking deeply, she stood up. "Cool! I'm gonna be a writer like Mom!"

"Oh! Wise choice, my daughter!" Yuri wrapped Ayuri around her arms, squishing their cheeks together.

In the middle of their heartwarming hug, a knock from the door grabbed their attention.

"Mr. Zack Zeyern, there's a letter for you!" The courier mentioned their father's name.

"Letter from who?"

He scratched the back of his head. "I apologize but the sender is unknown..."

Their dad opened the envelope then pulled out the letter. As he suddenly froze, Yuri peeked at the paper that he was holding.

She covered her mouth. "Oh, dear... Looks like we'll have to move out again..."

Zack was already at his limit. He thought that running away wasn't always the solution so he crumbled the paper while clenching his fist.

"Take me to your department! We need to know the sender!"

"Y-yes!" He saluted then whispered, "I figured you would say that..."